CHAPTER 3

As his mother dragged him away forcefully, Rue felt as though his soul had shattered, and the pieces were being left behind with every step they took from Harlow. Forever to remain in his memories is the image of Harlow's untended body, halfway up the stairs of his porch. Rue choked with tears as the image of Harlow became smaller and smaller with distance until he disappeared forever.

The moment when Rue could no longer see him, all Rue could think about was how death would probably be better at that very moment. His mother dragged him until she couldn't anymore. She stopped walking, turned around, and then slapped him. The slap sent a different pain through him, the very same pain that awoken when the boy stabbed Harlow. When his mother raised her hand to slap him again, he grabbed her wrist, stopping her.

When Rue gazed into his mother's eyes, he saw the horror in them. He looked at his hand when he noticed there was a light that glowed underneath where he held her. Rue released her immediately. When Rue did, before his mother could hide her hand from him, Rue saw that he had burned her.

"Mama, I'm sorry," Rue cried out, launching into her chest, where she consoled her son.

"I told you never to take off your gloves," she said in a low voice.

"I didn't mean to," Rue uttered.

"Nine months I carried you, you understand?" She whispered, hugging and kissing the top of his head. "I have never loved anything more, and no one has loved me more. I never wanted you to attend school with the villagers. It was what you wanted, and I trusted you and gave you rules!" she cried.

"I'm sorry, mama," Rue cried as he remembered how hard it was to convince her to let him go to school with the other children after he met Harlow.

"When you didn't come home, I went looking for you. There was a commotion at the square; a boy told the villagers that you killed two boys and your friend in the forest," she said, her voice breaking as she tried to fight back her cry.

"I didn't. I would never hurt anyone," Rue replied.

"Then what happened?" his mother asked.

"They threw stones at us, so we ran from them," Rue said, bringing his mother's hand to feel the wound on his head. "When they found us, one of them stabbed Harlow, and I don't know what happened afterward," Rue sobbed.

"Shush, what about the other two that are missing?" she asked.

Rue paused. Honestly, he didn't understand. One minute, Micha and Lawn were there, then the same bright light that burned his mother's hand appeared, and they were gone. Rue touched his mother's hand that was severely burned, and finally connected the dots. When Rue realized what he had done, he felt so sick that he started to vomit.

"Did they meet the light?" She asked.

When Rue could not vomit anymore, he nodded. "I'm sorry," Rue cried.

"Listen to me. It's not your fault. It's mine. I didn't trust you to tell you the truth. There is a great power inside you that makes you dangerous to those of this world. Your father called this power mana," his mother said.

"Mana?" Rue said, confused.

"My knowledge of how to help mold your power was limited, so I did everything possible to conceal it, and I failed," she said, turning from him.

"You didn't. I didn't listen," Rue told her, none of this was her fault.

"It doesn't matter now. The villagers won't wait for the knights to deal with you," She replied. "And once they find that boy's body, they will believe you were the cause of his death as well. I need to bring you somewhere where you will be safe. If not, they will kill you. Do you understand?" she said, her voice stern as she raised his chin until his tear-soaked eyes met hers.