CHAPTER 40

Rue watched him for a few minutes before he convinced himself to stand, and it took a lot more convincing to approach him. Rue's feelings were all over the place. Rue was happy to see him, but he was very angry with him, and a part of him was embarrassed to be in his company.

When Rue stood in front of him, he bowed, "Your Royal Highness, what do I owe this visit?" Rue asked, trying not to sound upset but failed terribly at it.

"Senior Royals don't bow to each other, only to the sovereign," Roxas told him.

Rue narrowed his eyes at him before turning to walk back to Wren. When Roxas took Rue's wrist, Rue stopped and turned to stare at him.

"I don't know what you want from me. Or how you want me to address you," Rue growled at him. "This is why I didn't say anything because this feels different. You're different towards me. I don't like it!"

Roxas head tilted to the side before he smiled. Rue's wall and the angry butterflies ready to go to war with the butterflies that were loyal to Roxas in his stomach, broke down.

Roxas walked over and rested his hands on Rue's waist pulling him closer before he kissed his forehead. Rue shut his eyes to force them from producing tears before pressing his face into Roxas' neck. After a few minutes, Rue wrapped his arms around him, and Roxas held him tighter.

"I promise I'm not angry with you. I'm angry at how complicated our lives are the more we learn of each other," Roxas replied, resting his head on top of Rue's. "The only positive side is that I don't have to worry about your safety."

"Does your brother know that you kept my secret?" Rue asked.

Roxas pulled away and nodded. Rue stomach twisted into knots.

"Are you in trouble?" Rue worried.

"If you are asking if my brother who raised me like his son plans to have my head. He thought about it, certainly yelled about it," Roxas replied, his voice humored. "He also thought about the consequences of killing the future ruler Reiyu and was glad I protected you in the end. However, he does not like my secrets. And there are many ways to punish me that can sit on his conscience."

"What ways?" Rue asked, very worried.

"His Majesty, King Rulin, wants a union between the nations once the war is over to send a message to the rest of the world that both nations will not stand for any tyranny. My brother surprisingly agreed," Roxas replied.

Rue was confused at how that was a punishment; in fact, it was good for them.

"That you marry my cousin," Roxas replied.

Rue felt his heart break and then roll away. He looked at Roxas, who didn't look offended and wondered why he was so calm.

"Never," Rue replied.

"Every king needs an heir. This is a good decision. We will at least be family in this lifetime," Roxas replied.

Rue has been angry with Roxas before, but he never wanted to hit him the way he did now.

"I don't want to be king. I don't want anyone but you. Why would you say that to me?" Rue asked as his eyes watered. "Did I mistake your feelings for me?" Rue uttered, confused.

Roxas frowned. When he reached for Rue's hand, he pulled his hand back. "Goodnight, Your Highness," Rue said as respectfully as he could before turning away.