CHAPTER 23

When the dark sky was beginning to brighten, Rue knew he had to leave. His heart tighten, he was afraid she die alone, but he was also fearful of what Roxas would do if he found that he wasn't there. When Rue stood, he watched as she unraveled herself, which surprised him. The dragon had watched him the whole time he was there, and this was the first time she has moved since he sat down.

          "I'll return when I get the chance," Rue spoke to her. "Please don't die," Rue asked, before opening the door to his room.

           Before Rue entered, he held his breath out of fear of the shock he would soon experience and walked through. When he finally took a breath, nothing happened, no tightness in his chest, no cramping, nothing. Rue was stunned. Did he just discover a cure, or was he just lucky? He wasn't sure and knew he would have to try it again when he returned.

           When Rue looked around, he saw no one. If Roxas had visited while he was gone, Rue was confident he would still be in the room fuming as he waited for Rue to return. Not seeing him confirmed Rue's thought that Roxas would be too busy with his guest to worry about him. When the thoughts that plagued him last night tried to work it way back, Rue thought about the injured dragon, which he thought was worth stressing over.

           Rue took off his boots before walking close to the door to see if the guards were still there. When he touched the wall and felt the same guards from the night before, as he expected, nothing had changed. Rue wanted to sleep but knew he had to wash away his journey first, so he walked straight to the washroom and made his bath.

         As he soaked, Rue was so tired. He worried he would fall asleep in the bath and drown. So to avoid a rather shameful death, Rue stood to dry off before he went to put on clean clothes. As he looked through his clothes that had been moved to a closet, he chose to wear the clothes Harlow had given him. They had been washed by someone who managed to get the bloodstain out, something Rue didn't think was possible, but he was grateful to whoever did it. From there, Rue dragged himself to bed.

           Rue laid in bed until the morning sky moved from outside into the room. As tired as he was, he was unable to sleep because his brain would not turn off. He couldn't stop thinking about the dragon, or the Arlets and his friends.

          Right about now, he would be up helping Simon. Since he sent that errow, he hasn't heard from any of them, but he knew they were received. Rue didn't blame them for not replying. He knew either they were not able to, or choose not to because it was safer for them to keep their distance. Something Rue could understand despite how hopeless things were.

          Living with the Arlets wasn't bad at all; they treated him as one of the family. Rue enjoyed watching Simon make weapons, and missed Zsuzsi smothering, and he strangely missed his friends, and how annoying they were.

Rue also missed not being able to spend more time with Harlow. He wished he could have been able to sit and talk to his mom a little longer; there were so many things Rue wanted that seemed impossible.

          Rue's life of hiding and always moving around was all he had ever known long before he came to this world. However, there were brief moments in his life where he wasn't running. During those times, he built great relationships with people that he eventually had to leave. It was to the point where Rue wondered was he never supposed to find a place where he could just exist happily in his lifetime? 

          When Rue heard movements outside the door, he sat up, knowing it was either Roxas or Emy. When Emy entered, her smile was warm as she greeted him good morning before she brought this breakfast to the sitting area.