CHAPTER 14

As they drew closer to the forest, Rue could feel his heart gearing up to run out of control. The sadness he buried began creeping up to him. Suddenly he was distracted by his friends' reaction to the massive forest before them.

There were no trees in the underground, so his friends seeing this forest for the first time was frightening for them. Their response help pacified his anxiety as he focused on them. Rue doesn't think they have ever seen trees before.

Rue remember this path, it was the one he took with Roxas. He is also reminded of the dire wolves, their sheer size, and how frighteningly scary they were. Yet, despite the past fear, Rue was confident if they ran into them, he would be able to handle it.

"Ok, we have to stay close as we head through the forest. So everyone let's get along," Astron said, walking ahead.

"Do dire wolves really exist?" Enna asked as she placed herself into the center of the group.

"Yes they do and so does dragons and other monsters," Astron replied.

"Shame, all this time alive and all you know is the underground," Pine mocked.

When Enna frowned, Sophia took her hand to comfort her.

"The underground is all most people know, it's nothing to be ashamed of," Eka replied.

"You are another one that stays close to mommy and daddy, you know nothing," Pine replied, in complete disgust.

"What I know is by choice, and I am not ashamed, I don't need to go look for dragons and wolves when I am happy being around those I care about," Eka replied.

"Useless," Pine replied.

Angry, Eka took a step towards her, but Rue grabbed her hand and shook his head.

"Astron, why does it seems as though we're not wanted here? Why invite us and put us through this disrespect?" Tinso asked, confused.

Astron stopped and turned around, and everyone stopped moving. "I invited you," Astron replied, his voice stern as he glared at him.

Tinso expression was blank.

"You wanted your friends to come, and I said I didn't care. Now that we are all together, let's try to get along," Astron said irritated, his eyes and words directed at his friends.

Tinso stopped walking and turned around to face his friends. Tinso's turn was so sudden they stopped abruptly again. He could hear the irritating noise the other group made when they stopped yet again. Ignoring them, Tinso said, "I'm sorry everyone." He felt guilty for how anxious, irritated, or angry they may have been. "If anyone wants to turn back before we enter the forest I'd understand," Tinso said, shivering.

"I'm fine," Sopha replied.

"Me too," his brother and Lashun replied.

When Tinso looked at Eka and Rue, Rue kept walking, which told Tinso his answer. Tinso smiled, and when he turned, he noticed Astron glaring at him before turning to continue walking.

The white canopy of branches swallowed them as they entered the majestic forest. The group that tightly entered the forest together scattered as they went to touch the orange trees that wasn't entirely covered in snow.

"To get to Cotol we might need to go east of the forest," Tolum told Astron, creating a compass to assist with direction. The compass was an arrow, generated by his mana. The arrow shot of his hands and vanished, illuminating a path for them to follow. Rue was fascinated. He wondered if it was possible to recreate it.