CHAPTER 44

As Rue looked around the room, he quickly saw that the smug look that was once present on the knight's faces faded very quickly with their laughter. Instead, they all wore a look of seriousness and respect, something Rue didn't receive when he first entered.

In a way, Rue knew it was expected not to be taken seriously. After all, they were all trained generals, and Rue was someone claiming to have a few answers to their problem. So Rue wasn't upset at all.
When he turned to Roxas, he was met with an intense stare that Rue wasn't sure what to make of the look.

No matter how powerful Rue became, Roxas was still fifty percent a mystery to him. Rue knew for sure he wasn't angry, his anger was linked to his mana that Rue could feel when his wrath was building. Rue was sure that Roxas had many questions for him that he would ask later. Since Rue's abilities have changed drastically over the last several months, and Roxas wasn't the type to want to hear of it last.

They continued to stare at one another, only remembering where they were when King Siel cleared his throat. Rue bowed to King Siel before dropping his eyes to the floor.

"Now that the laughing is over. You will conduct yourself seriously," Roxas said sternly to the knight around the room before walking over to Rue.

Rue stared at Roxas from the corner of his eyes. Roxas stood very close, which caused Rue's nerves to spiral out of control, especially when all eyes seem to focus on their body language.

"Zutar's army has been weakened. They will need every knight to protect the border along Oristrol and Reiyu," Roxas said, pointing to Rue's map, "As well as to protect the royal capital. Once Zutar withdraws their men from Oristrol, we will move our men to the recovered provinces to defend our borders."

Roxas' uncle agreed. "Afterwards, we will demand that the Royal family step down from power," Prince Jern added.

There was a sigh of relief that Rue could feel around the room that he could not share in just yet.

"It's too early to be celebrating a wishful thought," King Siel replied, sensing the same energy. "The war isn't over until King Sinver has been dethroned. He will never step down."

"We know King Sinver won't, but we are giving him a chance to think of his people that he rules," Rue replied.

King Siel laughed. "Are you suggesting that a tyrant can grow a heart?" he asked Rue, but Rue didn't have an answer. "If King Sinver is pushed to a corner, I wouldn't be surprised if he kills his own people in retaliation."

Rue frowned. It is the one thing he worried about.

"You can't save everyone," Roxas said to him.

Rue knew very well how true those words are. He learned earlier on that he can't, but that doesn't change wanting to and how sad the reality made him feel.

"Why waste time asking then?" Astron asked Rue.

"Because when history tells the story of the fall of House Zersil, it will show that the nations they terrorized were merciful at the end," Rue said. "It's their final choice, step down or burn at the throne."

"Look at you ready to break promises when a goal is set in your mind," Roxas spoke next to him.

Rue didn't have to look at Roxas to know he was talking to him.

"I know what you are thinking, but you will not go anywhere without me," Roxas warned loudly, unapologetic to those around them.

Rue shut his eyes and sighed.