Long(er) Distance.

New message 3:15 pm

I'll be there in 30 minutes.

I look at my phone in confusion. This was the first time Lauren had contacted me in 2 days. I went to dial her number but changed my mind. She probably won't answer again.

The girls were at the mall hoping to get away from too many fans and just have a nice outing.  They offered to take me with them but I wanted to stay home. Explaining to people that your girlfriend is avoiding you is a touchy subject.

I get up and put on some decent clothes. I wash my face then throw my hair up into a ponytail.

A knock on the door rings through my house a few minutes later. When I open it Lauren quickly steps inside and makes her way to the living room. I sigh, dreading the conversation that's soon to come.

I sit on the coffee table across from my girlfriend who's sitting on the couch picking at her nails. "So where the hell have you been?"

Looking up nervously through her lashes she mumbles out a reply. "I came a day earlier to visit my friend from high school."

I roll my eyes "Since when do you know anyone from this town?"

"You don't know who my friends are!" She says with an attitude while raising her voice. However I'm quick to bring her back down to a level headed state.

"Lauren do not start with me right now! You're the one in the wrong here so don't get defensive. We can have a regular conversation."

She huffs in frustration. "I already told you where I was."

"So how come the girls didn't know?"

Silence fills the room. It becomes apparent to me that there's an emotional space between us; and in this moment, it was growing by the second.

"Give me your phone." I say suddenly

"What?!" Lauren was thrown off guard. I wasn't one to ever ask to see messages so this was something she couldn't hide. If she was seeing another person everything would be right where she left it.

"Give me the phone Lauren."

"No. For what? You don't need to go looking for anyth-"

"Do you love me?"

Lauren locks eyes with me. She's biting her lip hard like something was eating her alive. She nods her head, her eyes slowly becoming glossy. "A lot.."

I put my hand flat in front of her.

Lauren reaches in her hoodie pocket and puts the phone in the palm of my hand. I look up at her before I open it. "Do you wanna tell me?"

She shakes her head, no verbal reply.

I place my finger on the home button and the screen opens up. Something in me makes me stop in my tracks. I look up at Lauren; who is avoiding any interaction with me, then back at the phone. My heartbeat seemingly disappears and I slowly open her iMessages.

At the top of the screen I see a name saved under 'Love ❤️' and my heart shatters. The last message was sent 15 minutes ago...

'I'll let you know next time I'm around but I have plans today. Later.'

Further down the list of texts are my messages that had already been opened. I blink back tears as I slide the group to the left to delete them.

"Lauren why wou-"

"I'm so sorry. It got so out of hand and I kept it up more than I should've." She continues to look down in shame, yet not so much regret. She hates that she got caught but not about starting it.

I swallow the lump in my throat and speak again. "You could've let me go. We built up so much and now there's just some new girl. Who is apparently so amazing you just had to throw away our memories, right?"

When I'm met with a wave of silence, anger boils within me. "You had to ruin the only serious relationship I had! You couldn't keep your fuckin hands to yourself long enough to stay on a flight with your best friends?! Huh Lauren? Was her pussy that good?!"

"Shut up! You don't know shit about me!" Lauren attempts to take the phone out of my hand but I move her away.

"I know you're a filthy little cheater!! I know that much Lauren! I know that I wasted years of my life in a relationship that apparently wasn't worth anything."

Lauren shoves me and finally makes eye contact. "Give me the damn phone."

"For what?! Your lil bitch to come pick you up?" Before I can even think twice I throw Lauren's phone to the ground and smash it. I know for a fact her mistress's number isn't memorized so now she's stuck without the slightest Uber or Lyft.

"Y/N WHAT THE FUCK?" She screams while retrieving the broken smartphone.

I sink into the couch and tears roll down my face. My emotions were wrecking my brain. Anger had just lost the race; sadness was currently leading the pack in first place.

"She's never gonna be as good as me.." I softly let out.  Lauren sits on the coffee table and sighs deeply. "I know," She places her head into her palms. "I really fucked up."

I nod pitifully "You did." I take out my phone and scroll through the contacts. "I'm gonna call the girls to come pick you up. Go get your shit out of my room."

"Y/N you can just keep-"

"Lauren that is the last thing I'd ever want right now. Go pack it or I'll burn it all right now."

Without another word she goes upstairs into my room to collect her old hoodies and jewelry I kept with me.  She had even given me her favorite book and I'd reread a few chapters every night. Now there was some other girl who would get to have Lauren with her.

"Hello?!" My trance washes away when a familiar voice comes through my phone.

"Oh hey Dinah I forgot I dialed your number." I wiped my eyes and attempt to clear my throat. "Y/N/N are you ok? Have you been crying?"

"Yeah, yeah just... can you come pick up Lauren?" I grab a tissue from the table to blow my nose.

"What, why?? What happened?"

"Dinah please." By now my voice had to sound desperate. I wanted her gone so I could cry my heart out with no interruptions.

"Ok we're on the way. Hang in there."

The doorbell rang 15 minutes later and when I opened the door for Dinah she embraced me tightly. Automatically my body collapsed in her hold. My tears flowed without my permission onto her shoulder. The soothing circles being placed on my back slowly restored my composure.

My ex came downstairs, only to slide out of the door after glancing at me. Dinah shook her in disappointment before turning her attention to me. "The girls and I still loved you, no matter what. Remember that."  She kissed my forehead and gave me a hug before following Lauren out to the car.

My heart yearned for her regardless of what she did. It begged to make up for the lost time caused by distance. Most importantly the emotional distance, which damaged my soul more than 2,000 miles ever could.

———————————————-

Sad ending :\ sorry. Wanted to try it for once even though I hate reading them lol.

Love ya 😘