Part of Me

There’s a part of her heart that is off limits because someone, somewhere in the past broke it • don’t take it personally, it was unbelievable hurt that she was sure would kill her • but it didn’t • but you must know she will never bargain that piece again’
J M Storm

--

I didn't answer Lauren when she asked about the painting. I couldn’t bring myself to.

I was probably being rude but inorder not to complicate things, it was necessary.

The truth is, the painting was a part of my past that I do not want to remember. It was something that I wanted to erase from my memory…from my life. 

But no matter what I do, no matter how good I was at pretending. It was never enough. 

It will never be enough.

The nightmares will always be there to haunt me.

-

Seconds turned into minutes and Lauren eventually stopped asking. She was obviously disappointed but I'm pretty sure that she'll manage.

For now, it’s best that she doesn’t know.

I hope she'll never have to know.

"Umm Lauren? Before I forgot." I started, diverting the atmosphere that was previously created by my silence.

She looked at me in curiosity.

“I've brought some clothes that you can wear."  I offered as I gestured towards the clothes that was neatly stacked over my bed.

"We’re just about the same size so it should fit you just fine.” I continued as she inspected the clothes that I got for her.

She smiled as she went through my collection of geeky customized shirts which was the only kind of tees that I own.

"So... you’re still a big nerd." She managed to tease me as she walked closer to where I was. Her tone was a bit playful and I honestly thought that she was going to continue when she whispered.

“It’s cute.’ She said.

"But you know what?" She looked at me again, but this time she looked a little bit concerned.

I waited for her to continue.

"You should probably shower before me. I mean, you're the one drenched in sweat remember?" To prove her point, she reached out her hand and lightly pulled the hem of my tank top that was clinging on my skin.

To say that I was surprised was an understatement. I was stunned but I did not let that show.

“I can wait until you finish.”She continued as she waited for what I had to say.

Lauren’s always been like this ever since we were kids and I think that up until now she was able to uphold her values. Even with people she doesn’t know, she was always so kind. That’s one of the reasons why people liked her.

One of the reasons why I did.

"Oh no, it's fine." I replied with a reassuring smile.

"I can shower downstairs." I added as I gathered my change of clothes.

We managed to come in an agreement and I left her to fend for herself. I went down the strairs and noticed how my footsteps resonated around the house. With my mom and Emma gone , it was eerily quiet.

I was just a few feet from the bathroom door when my eyes were caught by  a certain creature slumbering under the stairs.

I tried not to wake him but his sharp ears must've caught my presence as he opened his eyes. We stared at each other. Blue almond shaped eyes stared intensely into mine. I was cornered. I had nowhere to go.

I tried to move my foot in an attempt to escape but he was faster. He leaped from his position and deliberately attacked me. I was met by his sharp canines as I was sent sprawling down the sofa.

I am no match for this horribly adorable creature as he wagged his tale and licked me, demanding my attention.

“Hey big guy. Did you get a good sleep?” Willow was just so cute he was impossible to ignore.

But then something dawned on me.

My smile vanished as soon as I realized that she’s here. Lauren-his favorite human. Ever since we were kids, Willow fancied and loved her. He was her baby.

And well, when she abandoned us, I was not the only one who was left brokenhearted. He was too.

"Mommy Lauren's upstairs." I felt the need to say as I petted his thick gray fur. At the mention of Lauren’s name he wagged his tail in excitement as if he knew what my words meant.

Maybe he did, he was a smart dog afterall.

"I know big guy. You’ve missed her. We both did." I said as my hand went over his furry cheeks.

"She's back now, and she'll be glad to see you. You can wait a little bit longer right?" I assumed that he understood what I said because he howled in response.

"Wait for me okay?" I petted him one last time as I finally reached my destination.

The bathroom that I was in was considerably smaller than the bath upstairs but it’s decent. Black marbled flooring and glazed ceramic walls covered the entire space. It was also void of unnecessary amneties, just a simple toilet ,shower head and a sink.

I removed my clothes and stepped in the glass panels. The water was cool against my skin. It was relaxing. But somehow I couldn’t shake this conflicting feeling off my chest.  

A voice inside my head whispers that this is wrong. That bringing her in this house again was a mistake. That I shouldn’t be doing this to myself.

But my heart tells me that it’s okay.

Is it really okay? When it's getting harder and harder to deny the fact that she was someone who used to be a part of me. Someone who I used to love.

I really wanted to be more careful. I wanted to be more wary.

But when I'm with her my resolve seems to crumble.

------

Hellooo. Thanks again for reading and supporting this story. I really appreciated your votes, comments and messages. You guys are simply the best.

This is a short update but I already have the next few chapters. Just a little bit editing and it's good to go.

Thank you for your patience guyss.

Love youuu!  <3