Prologue - Darkness Rising

A/N at this point Jayden and Yang are 7 and ruby is 5
Jayden POV

Hell, that is what I call this place and there is no alternative. Being confined in a small basement is bad but the beatings are what make it worse. Everyday they find a new reason to make my life a living hell; whether it be that I was blamed for breaking something or just because they were bored. I got out of my "room" and headed for the kitchen to begin preparing breakfast for them. Once I finished I laid it on the table for them while I cleaned up. I couldn't fight back, mainly because I didn't know how. I wasn't rained in the slightest nor did I unlock my semblance. The only person I can tolerate in this hellhole is Uncle Qrow because he hasn't done anything to hurt me, I just wish he was around more to see what was happening. Once I finished cleaning up I heard them start to come downstairs; signalling my time to get out the room. I walked back into my prison cell and awaited for the usual beatings.

Timeskip

Eventually the door opened and out came Yang with a smug grin on their face which I knew meant 'we're gonna blame you for something and cheer on as mom and dad kick you into the dirt.' They come up to me and yang then says "hey slave, mom and dad are taking us to Vale to get me and ruby our weapons and then we are going to test them on you" As she said this Ruby came down and was staring at me in disgust., "yeah, I can't wait to hear you scream when we cut you all over" ruby says from the doorway. Due to me ignoring the, they get angry, "Dad, Jayden stole food again!" Shouted Yang and both my "parents came rushing downstairs. They didn't even bother to ask if it was true, they just went right into the beating. "YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT, WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT TAKING FOOD!" Taiyang yelled at me as he kicked me in the chest. "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO COME INTO THIS WORLD YOU WASTE OF SPACE!" Screamed summer as she curbed stomped my head into the concrete. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of me crying in pain even though it hurt like hell. I could hear Ruby and Yang cheering them on as I was being beaten. After 3 minutes they stopped, left and locked the room as I lay in a puddle of my own blood. I knew that if I don't leave, I will die but if I run away I will still most likely die but out there at least it will be quick. I decide to plan my escape but the issue is how.

Timeskip 4 days

After 4 days of planning I decided that I would escape during the morning before they were awake due to me getting up about 2 hours before. I quietly pack enough food for 4 days and some water and write a note and impale it on the last time I had a happy memory of this place.

"Flashback 2 years ago"

We were all in the garden relaxing when Dad decided we should have a family photo. We all huddled up outside the house with me and Yang in the middle with Ruby in summer's arms. As the picture was taken I felt ecstatic because of the wonderful family I had.

"End of flashback"

Oh a fool I was back then, it was all a façade and they knew it. I stabbed the note into the image where I was with a kitchen knife and left the house for good. Once the house of sight I felt a massive burden being lifted of my shoulders. I could move, feel. I was free.

Ruby POV

I woke up and went downstairs expecting g the disappointment to have made breakfast but he wasn't there. I go to his room and yell while knocking on the door, "Hey idiot get up and make us breakfast," still nothing so I enter and see he wasn't there. "B-Brother, where are you?" I asked as I walked back into the kitchen when I see a note impaled on the the family picture where brother was. I read the note and I could feel tears and guilt running through my system as I rushed into Mom and Dad's room. They wake up and mom asks "Ruby what's wrong, did that sack of crap hurt you?" I felt even more guilt pang my heart."B-Brother's Gone!" I cry out as I give into my fear and sadness and cry out into the heavens. Mom and Dad are shocked are read the note which I had in my hands.

'To the Rose/Xiao Longs

I hope you're happy now I've left since I was such a disappointment to you all. I don't know whether you always hated me or whether it was something I did but I have had enough. Don't ever expect me to forgive you for what you did, I would rather die than that happen. If we ever meet again; Don't expect mercy or forgiveness from me

Yours to Hate, Jayden'

Mom and dad began to shake as they realised what they did, mom began to wail while saying"my boy, my sweet baby boy; what have i done" while dad stared at the note in despair. Yang came in asking what happened and when dad told her she couldn't handle it. She collapsed on the floor losing all strength in her body. We all had lost something we could never regain.

Meanwhile Jayden POV

I was wandering through the forest when I heard a rustle coming from the bushes to my left. As I got closer a Grimm came out and knocked me to the ground. As I stared at in in fear I began to feel strange. I felt, different, better, stronger. With this newfound strength I punched the Grimm and from my body a replica of me made of pure shadows hit the Grimm on the top of the head and followed it with and uppercut. The Grimm was launched and I took this chance to run. As I ran I felt my lungs were about to give in so I stopped to take a breathe when I realised something. I unlocked my semblance. I UNLOCKED MY SEMBLANCE! I had never felt so glad in my life I accidentally triggered my semblance again this time it looked at me unimpressed. I figured it was intelligent and asked it something. "Can you make me stronger" my clone took a battle stance which then copied. This was going to be fun.

A/N there we go, I hoped you enjoyed the beginning of this book. Now cut me some slack as this is my first time writing a book before and I welcome any ideas you may have for the future just let me know until then PEACE.
Word count: 1189