prologue

P r o l o g u e | 0 |

I felt a smile cracked as I saw my ex girlfriend at the park we used to hang out at. She was holding a box between her arms and when she saw me, she called my name, smiling. As if the broke up thing wasn't a big deal. For me, it is a big deal.

"Morning, Connor" she says, placing the box on her car's bonnet, I saw a guy inside the car, playing his phone. "I'm sorry for calling you this early but it's an emergency"

Emergency, my ass.

I nodded, shoving the both of my hands inside my pocket, "sure"

"This" she told me, patting the box. "is your stuffs you'd gave me when we're . . . That"

Together.

"Sure" I muttered, hugging the box since she shoved it to my chest. "that's all?"

"Umm no, .. I would like you to meet my new boyfriend" she informed, opening the driver's car to reveal the guy who played his phone who is her new boyfriend.

He was taller than me. Blonde. Not that muscled guy. Perfect for Emily. Now I know what type Emily likes. And I was still scanning him.

"I noticed" I said, lowering the box from my face so I can see his face clearly.

"Connor, meet my boyfriend, Jake" Emily introduced him to me, then turned to Jake and pecked his lips before saying. "Jake, Connor"

I swallowed.

Jake waved his hand at me, "Hey, Connor, nice to meet you"

"Me too" I pursed my lips after that, forcing a smile at Jake before Emily burst in, being her loud self.

Jake was looking at me. And I couldn't stop looking at him, too. I looked away, face warmed. What is happening to me? Why am I so shy in front of him?

"Since Jake just moved in this city . . ." Emily announced, slipping her arms in between Jake's, "I need to show him around the city"

Show off.

"Bye, then" I said, walking to my car and placed the box at the back seat. Slamming the door back, harshly, I jumped when Jake suddenly touched my shoulder. I wasn't expecting someone to follow me to the car.

"Shit- I didn't mean to-"

I backed off, "It's okay" until my back touched my car so that I could lean there.

"Emily. . ." Jake trailed.

"What about her?" I asked, glancing at their car, noticing that Emily was watching us.

"She's sorry"

"Oh. Okay"

Then there was an awkward moment. I acted cool at this until Jake spoke up. "It's really nice to meet you, Connor"

"I know" I said.

And awkward silence, again.

"Bye . . . I guess?" he said. I nodded and watched him went back to his car. I sighed and went inside my car, too and drove myself to a cafe near my apartment.

The first time I moved in this area, I thought that cafe was boring but I found my ass sitting inside the cafe, enjoying the aroma and the tea. They served good teas and coffees.

After checking my car was fully parked, I went inside the cafe and was greeted by my 'friend', Will. He sure is a kind man but couldn't help me much. So.. I only trust him a little.

"Chamomile tea?" he asked with a grin.

"You know me, bitch" I answered and he laughed, walking to the counter to make my order. I've been living around this area for almost eight years so heh, he knew me well.

Few minutes later, my tea was served and I, a tea lover, finished it quickly in one second. Will just looked at me, horrored, before someone, one of the worker, shouted, "Fucking Will! Get yo ass to work"

Will laughed and shouted back, "Yeah, in a few!"

Will excused himself and I told him I need to leave after slapping the money on the table. I left the cafe and went back to my apartment.

The clock striked 08:30 AM and I sighed, glancing at the box on the coffee table. I gulped and pulled the tape and opened it.

She gave everything to me what I've given her before. I felt my heart broke inside my ribs and when I looked at the picture of us both, I clenched my hand on it and threw it perfectly inside the bin. The others was her shirt, dresses and gown that I'd bought for her birthday and the ring she promised me to wear everyday which is a shitty promises. At last, I decided to throw the box away with all the stuffs inside. What's the point keeping someone's stuffs when they didn't like us again?

I carried the box along with the other rubbish all the way down to the apartment's garbage place. I threw them all and wiped my hands on my sweat pants.

"Why did you throw them?"

"Gasp" I muttered quietly. I turned to see my old best friend, "Dylan"

"That's Emily's stuff, right?" he guessed.

I ignored his questions and shrugged, "What brings your ass here?"

He sighed. "I have something to tell you"

"Spit it" I demand.

"What?" he said. Confused.

"I said. Spit it out" I repeated.

He took a deep breath and said. "I'm gonna marry Violet-"

"What does that have to do with me?" I asked, now arms crossed.

"You're my-"

I cut before he could say something about our broken friendship, "Used to be best friends"

He rolled his eyes, laughing, "Whatever but in my eyes, you're still my friend"

For me; you're a bitch. After what you'd done in front of my eyes. I never will forgive you. Fuck you, Dylan.

"And Emily knows this" he continued.

I walked away, "whatever you're talking about- I don't care"

And I still can see Dylan's figure standing at there, froze, at the reflection. Damn, this apartment had so many glasses. His shoulders slumped down and I scoffed, pressing the elevator's button.

Sighing, I stepped inside the elevator and Jake's face ran through my mind. The way he looked at me. The way he said that it was nice to meet me. The way he-

What the actual Fuck? I thought.

∞∞∞∞∞∞