| 24 |

Emily was right. I didn't get to know him. I didn't know him. I never know the whole him. I just know Jake, but not his family—because I never ask—I never know about how his life is going, I never know a single thing about him.

Selfish.

Maybe that word really suits me for the whole time. I was being too selfish around him. I always think that I was the only the right one when we're together. I always said things out without thinking what's the impact.

And I know I'd hurt him but he never show it.

He was being a good..guy to me. We weren't going out. We'd never ask each other out. We just have the feelings. We were like—hard to admit what's up with our feelings. Everything was fucking complicated.

We could be better—if I weren't being so nosy before. I was being too hard on myself. It was so hard for me to let someone in.

Fear. That's what been haunting me that made myself living in a negativity world.

And Jake—he was my pill. He was the one who's been helping me to learn positive things. He was trying to make me feel happy again. Jake was the one who'd noticed me struggling being alive.

Seeing him again—after three years made me feel like I want him again—I've been wanting him.

I thought he'd forgot me because I was used to be forgotten by the people who used to be by my side. I was always harsh on him. I thought he would hate me.

Get your shit together, Connor Daniel Watson.

I sighed, shutting my eyes, knowing that I was having a watery eyes. I heard heels clicking on the floor and the sound is getting louder, I was assuming it was mom.

I was indeed right, "Daniel, I was told by one of the maids that you were crying."

I was inside the living room, I was procrastinating but the Jake thing flashed through my mind and that was when I'd started to think about what I've done wrong. And I was crying that I'd scared the maids.

I wiped my stained cheeks, standing up and shared my mom a glance, "It's nothing. Don't worry about it, mom."

"If you say so..."

Realizing of what my mom was wearing, I asked, "Where are you heading to?"

"I am having a meeting in two hours with your dad at the Markson Hotel, we were planning to have a dinner after that, want to join? In case you want to forget about it for awhile."

"No thanks, I want to rest."

"Caging yourself inside the house again?"

Yes, "No."

"Yes you were going to."

Shit

Surrendering, I said, "Okay okay, I'll go out later."

"Good. I'll send Jenton to look after you. Just tell him where you want to go. He'll send you there. Is that okay?"

I nod my head, "Yeah."

My mom ruffled my hair, planting a kiss on my cheek before leaving the house with dad, "Take care, Daniel."

"You too, mom and dad."

I sound like a kid.

Dad nod his head at me before the door was closed shut. Sighing, I turned my back towards the door, walking to the opposite way which is towards the stairs.

Maybe I really should cage myself—

"Sir, your mother just contacted me to keep an eye on you not to cage yourself in here and maybe do something productive outside this place."

"Ah, Jenton I uh, no—" I groaned and pinched the bridge of my nose, "fine. I'll go upstairs and change while you can start the car. I'll be there in five mins. Got it?"

"Of course, sir." Jenton said, giving me a nod. He was being serious on his job and I almost stifle a laugh. I was the one who's not serious.

I dashed into my room and rummaged through my closet. Being my plain self—I simply put on my grey hoodie and grey sweatpants and exited the room. Wandering off to the front where Jenton was already waiting inside the car.

"Can you take me to the park near the Asmerelda Apartment?" I asked.

"As you wish, sir." was his reply before the car started to move.

一一一一一

A lot of teenagers were hanging around the park, the place was surprisingly loaded because it wasn't a famous place before when I used to live around this area. Jenton was waiting at car since I told him I needed to be by myself.

I strolled around the pathway, clutching onto my hoodie as the cold wind brushed on my skin. I seated myself on the swings I've always sat on, looking at the view down from above the hill.

I noticed there's a figure sitting on the swing beside me but didn't pay much attention to it.

"You're new here?"

I turned my head to the side, it was just a random guy, he seems nice, I replied, "No."

"I've never seen you around here before."

I snorted, "I hanged around here a lot before when I used to live at the Asmerelda Apartment." pointing over my back since the apartment is right behind the park—few blocks away.

His mouth formed the 'O' shape and said, "Cool, I wanted to live there but I guess I have no chance that I could afford the monthly payment. The name's Raphael by the way. I just started living here two years ago with my best friend."

Raphael? Why does that sounds so familiar?

"You like it here?" I asked, starting to swing myself back and forth smoothly.

"Yeah, back in Michigan is sooo—" he paused and bluntly said, "hey, I didn't get your name, boy."

I stifled a laugh, "I'm Connor."

"My best friend, he had this person he likes named Connor. He won't stop talking about this Connor person. It has been three years though but he told me he saw Connor not this long ago. Maybe yesterday I guess."

He opened his mouth to continue but his phone rang so loudly that made people's eyes turned our way. He mouthed an apology before answering the call.

"Jake, I'm at the park." I heard him said.

I froze. Jake?

"Okay okay..yeah yeah.. I know I know.. Bye bye.. Now shut up, Jake."

He shoved his phone inside his pocket and smiled widely at me, "That was my bestfriend. He'll show up soon."

I nodded slowly, "Jake?"

"Yeah, that's his name," he answered and his eyes widened when he saw something behind me, "hey, Jake!"

The both of us stood up from the swings, Raphael spun me around and said, "Connor, this is my bestfriend, Jake!"

"Connor?"

Oh fuck, it's Jake. The Jake I like. The Jake I wanted to talk to. The Jake I—

Raphael made a confused face, he looked at me and Jake, back and forth, he asked, "Are you.. Wait, do you guys know each other? Whoa don't tell me—"

"I-I gotta go," I said, backing off from them.

Just talk it out, Connor.

"Why do you keep running away from me, Connor? Why can't we just talk it out? And...fix what's wrong between us?" His voice was cracking when he said that. Was he.. Crying?

I hurt him even more.

I didn't meant to run away from you. I wanted to talk but I always thought that it would ended up crushed.

"I love you, Connor. Isn't that enough?"

I love you too.