Chapter Twenty-Eight

Katherine

"Say bye to Daddy and Papa, baby. We need to get going now so we make sure we don't miss our flight." I tell my baby as I double check our bags to make sure I packed everything we would need for the next 4 days.

"Bye, Dada. Bye, Papa. Wuv you." She says before she gives each of them a kiss.

"We love you too, baby. So much. Call us everyday, okay? We're gonna miss you so much." Zayn says.

"And call us when you get there so we know you're safe." Harry adds. "And make sure to be a sweet baby for Mommy, okay?"

"I be good girl, Dada. Pwomise." She gives them each another kiss.

"Bye Harry and Zayn. We'll see you soon." I say as I grab Sera's hand and lead her into my car.

As I fasten her into her car seat, she gives me a confused look.

"What's the matter, babes?" I ask as I make sure she's fastened in tightly.

"Will Dada and Papa be sad dat we're gone?" She asks innocently. "No wike Dada and Papa be sad."

"I know, sweetheart. But we're just gonna be gone a few days and they'll be okay."

Once we arrive at the airport, I begin to explain the rules for our trip.

"This is an extremely busy airport, baby. So you cannot let go of Mommy's hand at all once we step outside, do you understand, my love? Mommy does not want to lose you. Or Mommy can get a stroller to sit in, would that be better?" I explain.

"Mommy hold." She answers.

"Mommy can't hold you yet, baby. I have to carry all our luggage. I'll just get you a stroller, that will be easier for Mommy. I promise that once we get on the plane, I will hold you the whole way, okay?"

"M-Mommy?" I hear my baby say from her stroller as we head to our gate after making it through security.

"Yes, my love." I say. "Are you hungry? I'll get you something, do you want chicken nuggets?"

"Wan' Mommy miwkey!"

"Not right now, baby. We need to settle down at our gate and grab some food really quick, okay?"

"No! Miwkey now!" She whines before she starts to really cry.

I place her pacifier into her mouth and she calms down long enough for me to set our stuff down and take a seat.

"Ok, baby. Let me get out a blanket to put on Mommy." I finally get her set up to nurse when they call us to board.

"No, Mommy miwkey!" She cries as I have to move her away.

"As soon as we get in, I'll feed you, baby, I promise."

Sera is in hysterics as I place our luggage into the compartments and watch other people stare at us. I quickly take my seat, lay a blanket over me, and let Sera latch on.

For the next two hours she's fast asleep in my arms until she wakes up hungry.

"Wan' Dada noodles." She whines adorably, referring to Harry's "famous" macaroni and cheese.

"You do? I bet Grandma has noodles at her house and guess what?" I ask her.

"What?"

"I got you some goldfish!"

Goldfish is her favorite snack in the whole world, besides cake.

"Fank you, Mommy."

Not long after that, our plane lands and once we get our bags we head to the front to find my family. I peek into the stroller and see my baby is fast asleep again.

"Katherine!" I hear from somewhere to my right.

I look over and see my mom and sister standing there waiting for us.

"Mom!" I reply and pull her into a hug.

"Hi sweetheart, how was the flight?" Mom asks as she peeks into the stroller.

"It was fine. Sera was a little fussy at first but she fell asleep." I turn to my sister. "Hey, Hannah!"

I embrace my sister before they both coo over my sleeping baby.

"She is so adorable, sweetie." Mom says as she pulls out of the airport. "How is being a caregiver? Is it everything you imagined?"

"More. Sera's the perfect baby for me and while I was unsure about it at first, having two co-caregivers has been nice. So I can still work and she doesn't have to be in daycare all the time and I have days where I get to stay home." I reply. "That reminds me, I should text them that we landed."

We landed and are headed to my Mom's house. Sera is asleep so we'll call as soon as she wakes up.

After arriving at the house, I start to pull Sera out of her car seat but she starts to get fussy as I'm waking her up.

"Sorry, darling." I apologize as she starts crying. "But we're here at Grandma's house. Isn't that fun?"

She just pouts and lays her head in my neck. After a few seconds of sucking on her pacifier, she's content and looks around curiously.

"She's awake, Mom." I alert her.

"Oh hi darling!" My mom coos. "I'm your Grandma and this is your aunt, Hannah. Oh, I love you so much already! I'm so excited to play with you!"

"Pway wif me?" My baby asks.

"Yeah, I would love to."

"Before we do that, do you want to call Daddy and Papa so they know you're okay?"

She nods. "Need talk to Dada and Papa first."

I set up the FaceTime and then hand the phone to her as she rests on the couch.

"Hey baby!" Zayn greets her with a smile.

"Papa! Where Dada?" My baby asks adorably.

"He's coming, sweetheart. How was the flight, was it okay?"

"It otay no wike it doe."

"Why didn't you like it?"

"No haf Mommy miwkey and not comfy."

"Hello, my love!" Harry says.

"Dada! Wuv you!"

"I love you more, baby. How are you doing?"

"Good. Gwanma is nice."

"That's good, baby."

"Are you hungry, baby girl?" I ask as I hear my mom ask if she should cook anything for Sera.

"Wan Dada noodles." She replies.

"Grandma has noodles, baby. She'll make them just for you."

"I'll make noodles for you as soon as you're home, baby, okay?" Harry answers.

"Okay. Bye Dada. Bye Papa. Wuv you!"

"Bye darling!"

"Bye little one! Love you more!"

And with that I can't help but wonder if everyday apart from them will be this hard.