𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱

When Madison went back to school, it was Friday. The day of the dance, and Madison still hadn't talked with Peter. Which sucked, but there was nothing she could do. In class she never had time to speak with him, because she was always helping with Homecoming stuff. And after school Madison knew Peter had detention.

So Madison had just decided that maybe she wouldn't be going to Homecoming with anyone and she would just go with Liz. Which suited her fine; at least she wouldn't be completely alone. She just focused on finishing everything for the dance.

She was thinking about all of this as she walked the empty halls. Madison turned the corner and saw Peter com out of the bathroom, a hall pass in his hand. The girl blinked as she thought of the irony of the situation.

"Hey," Peter spoke, slowly stopping.

"Hey," Madison repeated, as she walked over to the trophy case.

Peter gave the girl a look, "I thought you had Chemistry fifth period."

"Yeah, I was just doing some Homecoming stuff," Madison replied, noticing how awkward the conversation was.

The boy then walked up to Madison, "Hey, look, I, uh... I just wanted to apologize about the whole Decathlon thing. I really-"

"It's fine. Last week, I didn't understand, but now I do," Madison cut in.

"No, I, I just meant that... it was not cool, especially," Peter gave a sigh, "Because... I like you."

Madison looked at the boy in shock, "You do?"

"Yeah, which is why I shouldn't have left you waiting like that. It was a bad thing to do and I'm so sorry," Peter explained.

"It's fine. You just did some really stupid stuff," Madison replied.

Peter let out a laugh, "Yeah you'd be surprised."

Madison then looks at Peter in the eyes. Silence fell between the two, for a couple of seconds. It was awkward, but Madison was happy to even be talking to Peter after not hearing a word from him for a week.

Peter then snapped out of it and started to back away, "I got to get to class, but, um, I'd say we should hang out, but you're dad is pretty mad at me and I'm gonna be in detention for like... ever, but, um, I guess you already have a date to Homecoming."

"Actually, I was so busy planning it and dealing with other things I never really got around to that part, so..." Madison answered, trailing off and looking at the ground.

"Uh, do you want to go with me?" Peter asked, his voice shaking.

Madison looked up and gave a small smile, "Yeah. Sure."

"Really? I mean, uh, great. Cool," Peter replied, giving a grin.

The younger Stark gave a nod, "Cool, as long as you're okay meeting at Liz's house because we were going to meet up with friends."

"Yeah that's cool," Peter answered, "I'm actually going that way."

Peter then walked passed Madison; she turned around and watched as he practically skipped away. The girl laughed to herself as she felt her heart race. She couldn't believe that the universe had actually been on her side for once. And never in a million years would Madison had thought the thing to make her so happy would be to go to a Homecoming dance with a boy she had a crush on.

The rest of the day dragged on, and once the final bell rang Madison raced out of school to meet up with Liz. She found her friend waiting at the front doors, talking with a bunch of people.