Part 11

A flash of light appeared at the edge of Angel Island. Shadow and Rouge appeared from the flashing light and looked around at the tropical island before them. The scenery of Angel Island was always breathtaking: the way the wind danced around the green leaves around the trees, the azure waterfalls that splash onto crystal clear lake, the ancient ruins that still have yet to be discovered, and much more.

  Shadow pressed forward to find the red echidna that lives in this island. Rouge trailed behind him as they started their way to find Knuckles. Now that the two of them are alone, Rouge had some things that was on her mind after Shadow's outbursts from earlier back in the hospital. She turned her gaze towards the back of Shadow's head. The sunlight reflect off of Shadow's deep black fur. Rouge continued glancing back at Shadow as her nerves were getting the better of her.

She didn't want to bring anymore turmoil since her companion's mind was already clouded with doubt. They've made their way through the woods and came across a lake. A bunch of Chao were gathered around the lake.

"Awwe," Rouge gawked at the little creatures that were a few feet away from them. "Aren't they cute Shadow?"

The Chao heard Rouge's voice and seen the ebony hedgehog and ivory bat. They ran over and jumped onto Rouge immediately. Rouge was cooing as the Chao smiled innocently at her. Rouge sat down and held some of them to her face.

"They're so adorable!" Rouge hugged one of them. "I forgot that there were groups of Chao that lives here."

Shadow watched his companion getting attacked by the harmless Chao. He was uninterested with the Chao at this moment. He's too focused on finding Knuckles than worrying about some Chao. He began to walk off until a purple Chao walked up to Shadow. He looked down at the Chao, and stared at it. His demeanor was not very welcoming. He had a glare as his resting face, his irises are crimson, and Shadow is usually frowning. In most cases, people would be intimidated, but the purple Chao just stared at Shadow with its innocent eyes.

  Shadow continues to stare at the purple Chao, reminding him of someone, but couldn't put a finger on it. He was in deep thought, oblivious to a black and red Chao that walked up to the purple Chao. He looked back down to see the black and red Chao and stared at it in confusion.

'Why does it look like me?' Shadow frowned at the thought to himself.

"Oh wow, you found one that's exactly like you in appearance." Rouge said as she walked over to her best friend.

She kneeled down and smiled at the Shadow lookalike. The Shadow Chao kept its same demeanor and stared at Rouge. Rouge chuckled at the Chao, "Well, he acts just like you too. Don't you think?"

Shadow shrugged in response and looked back at the purple Chao that was still staring at him. Shadow lowered his eyelids in annoyance as to why it continued to stare at him or why he couldn't guess who this Chao reminded him of. He wanted the Chao to go away, so that he can push forward and find Knuckles, but something about this Chao is captivating to him. Rouge turned to see Shadow glaring at a purple Chao who stared back at him. She giggled a little as the whole scene was kind of funny. Shadow's ear twitched, so he shot Rouge a glare.

"What," Rouge tried to stop her laughter but failed miserably. "It's not my fault that you look ridiculous glaring at the innocent thing like that."

Shadow reverted his gaze back to the purple Chao who was hugging his leg now. It looked back up at Shadow and smiled a little. Shadow's eyes grew wide as he stared at the Chao in shock, uncomfortable to the purple Chao's actions.

"Ya know," Rouge stared at the purple Chao. "This Chao kind of looks like Blaze somewhat."

'Blaze? That's right. That's who this tiny thing reminded me of.' Shadow picked the Chao up and held it close to his face.