falyn

Almost as soon as Kora's cries sounded through the room, tears poured from my eyes. It was already hard trying not to cry in the first place considering how hard it was to watch Falyn in so much pain. Seeing her cry wasn't easy on me. 

I couldn't help but feel slightly guilty at the fact that the reason she was in so much pain was 50% my fault. She was handling everything so well and I was beyond proud of her. I know she got to a point where she wanted to just quit, but she didn't and that's why she was so incredible. 

As the doctors lay Kora onto Falyn's chest, I couldn't contain how emotional I was. 

She was perfect. 

Falyn struggled to catch her breath as Dr. Carroll lay Kora onto her chest. Falyn rested her hand on Kora's back as she looked down at her. She gently touched her nose and I could tell she was in shock. 

Dr.Carroll left Kora for a few minutes and then I had to cut the umbilical cord which was very emotional for some reason. Once they took Kora to finish cleaning her and making sure she was healthy, Falyn had to deliver the placenta.

"You did perfect," I said pushing her from her face.

Once the placenta was out, we were both focused on our little Kora across the room who was still crying and crying and time seemed to be moving so slowly. 

I didn't even notice something was wrong with Falyn until the machines around her started beeping rapidly. When I looked at her, her eyes shuttered shut and her head fell back into the pillow. 

I cupped her cheeks entering panic mode, "Falyn, wake up." 

The nurses pushed me out of the way and more rushed into the room gathering around Falyn. The machines were continuously beeping and I couldn't even focus on what was being said because of the amount of chatter that was being exchanged between them. 

"What's happening?" I asked, my voice cracking. 

Falyn had gone pale and had immense amounts of sweat falling from her skin. The oxygen mask over her face didn't help the situation. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I felt like I was gonna pass out from how dizzy I had gotten. 

"Someone get him out of here," I heard Dr. Carroll say.

"Are you insane? I'm not leaving her." I yelled. 

They paid me little to no attention after that. My heart rate only increased from there as they struggled with whatever they were doing. I felt useless. I couldn't do anything.

Then my world came crashing down all at once.

The continuous beep signaling a flat line echoed through the room and I literally fell to my knees as I heard it. 

f a l y n

I sat up from the hospital bed, looking around. Everything was empty and dark. 

Kora wasn't here. Shawn wasn't here. Not a single nurse or doctor was in sight.

I stood up and looked down to see I was still in the horrendous hospital gown. I left the room and walked down the dark hallway. I had no idea where I was going, nor did I care. I just wanted to see someone walking around. 

I stopped when I saw my reflection in a window. I was pale, had the ugliest bags under my eyes and I looked... super skinny. Through my reflection I realized I was looking at a nursery. It was filled with little newborn babies in the cribs.

I searched for Kora but she was no where to be seen.

Where was Shawn?

"Falyn, I've been waiting to meet you." I turned my heart, my heartbeat jumping out of my chest at the sound of another voice.