CHAPTER 10: INVESTIGATION, PHASE 1

Evelyn's p.o.v

It's been three days since I've gone dune-bashing with Miko and her best bud Bulk and the next thing I know is that the weekend is over and I'm back in school.

In those three days, I've come up with a plan.

Step 1: Get, I mean, 'borrow' one of Ed's trackers.

Step 2: Stick the tracker on Bulk's SUV.

Step 3: Follow the tracker to god knows where.

Step 4: If worse comes to worse, I'll film some evidence with my phone and skedaddle.

Step 5: Confront Miko and hear her side of the story.

I know it seems simple and all and honestly, I don't mind. The less complicated plans are, the fewer things could go wrong.

And so, yesterday I did Step 1, convince Ed to let me 'borrow' one of his trackers. I'd snag it while he wasn't looking but I've got standards and I do not want to feel my brother's rage. Not that I'm scared I'm just not a thief, I have a code of ethics. And besides, the last thing I need is Ed's suspicion and anger.

Luckily, it wasn't that hard.

Flashback:

I parked my bike outside Ed's lab and opened the new door he's installed. I entered and found him hunched over his work desk.

He'd chosen to forgo his usual flannel shirt and instead opted to wear a white t-shirt under a pair of jean overalls.

He seemed to be working on something. He wore a pair of safety goggles over his eyes and a pair of safety gloves.

 He wore a pair of safety goggles over his eyes and a pair of safety gloves

 In one hand he held a small laser and in the other he held a screwdriver. I saw sparks fly every now and then.

"Hasn't Mother taught you how to knock?" he said to me without looking. I shrugged.

"Didn't want to knock the new door off its hinges so soon." I joked. "Look, Ed. I need to borrow something." I said dropping the joking tone.