CHAPTER 66: ALWAYS THERE FOR EACH OTHER

Smokescreen took a deep vent, time to put the next phase of his plan into motion. 'You can do this.' He repeated to himself as he walked over to Ratchet.

"Hey doc?" he called.

"What is it, Smokescreen?" Ratchet asked gruffly.

"It's um....you know, time for me to go for patrol." Smokescreen said.

"I am well aware of that." Ratchet said. "I'll prepare the groundbridge."

"Yeah, about that..." Smokescreen briefly glanced back and saw that Evelyn seemed to be in a deep conversation with Miko. She was distracted, perfect. "Could you send me to France? Paris specifically?"

Ratchet blinked and turned away from the console to face him fully. "Why would you want to go there?" he asked.

"Because...." He tried to come up with an excuse and blurted out the first thing that came to his processor. "I figured since there are hardly any Decepticon sightings, it'd be good for me to go check on anyway since, you know better safe than sorry and all and I figured that why not? I don't go there often after all and its best if I get used to it just in case and-" ok, now he was just rambling on and on.

'You were supposed to just think of an excuse not ramble on!' he mentally yelled at himself. For once, he didn't bother to tell that voice of his to shut up.

"Smokescreen, stop! Just...stop." Ratchet said putting a servo up and pinching the area on his faceplate where a human nose would be.

Smokescreen promptly snapped his mouth shut before he could annoy the medic further. "Sooooo can you send me there?" he asked.

"Why are you asking me and not Optimus?" Ratchet asked.

'Well I couldn't just go up to him and say 'Hey sir, do you mind if I confess to the girl I love today?'.' Smokescreen thought. "It's just a small matter, he's probably got bigger things to worry about anyways." He said instead.

Ratchet just looked at Smokescreen, his optics seem to bore into his soul and Smokescreen began to feel a bit uncomfortable under the intense stare.

The medic looked at Smokescreen then glanced at Evelyn. So that's the way the kid wanted to do it huh? "Fine." He said.

"Really?" Smokescreen said, surprised at the easy agreement. "That's great, thanks do- I mean Ratchet." The least he could do was call him by his real name.

Ratchet grunted in reply. "Just take care of Eve and try not to get shot at." He said.

Smokescreen stiffened. "How did yo-"

"Kid, how many times are you going to ask that question? After that scene you did this morning, even a sparkling could tell what you plan on doing." Ratchet said.

Smokescreen's faceplate grew hot as he remembered his big slip-up this morning. Yeah, not one of his brightest moments.

"I hope you know what you're doing." Ratchet said seriously.

"I know." Smokescreen said. 'So am I.' he thought to himself. "I'm goanna go grab Eve, be back in a sec."

While Smokescreen had been conversing with Ratchet, Evelyn had been in a serious conversation with her cousin herself.

"So you're seriously goanna tell him today?" Miko asked, still not believing what her cousin just told her. She knew the moment she saw the slight changes in Evelyn's appearance that something was up.