CHAPTER 59: INSIDE JOB !1!; ALREADY HAPPENED & ABOUT TO HAPPEN

"No!" Optimus cried and they dashed towards the Decepticon groundbridge as fast as they could......

But they were too late.

The groundbridge disappeared....along with Smokescreen.

And one of the Omega Keys.

Optimus clenched his fists in frustration and gritted his denta (A/N: I'm changing dental plates to denta, it's shorter and easier.) behind his mask.

Arcee released a cry of frustration.

Optimus composed himself. It wouldn't do any good to lose his cool. "Ratchet, prepare the groundbridge." He said, his tone more stiff and robotic than ever. It's a reflex of sorts, gained from millenniums of warfare, sacrifices, loss and grief.

He wasn't cold or sparkless/heartless like Megatron, no, he simply can't allow his emotions to get the better of him for the sake of others.

"Wait, where's Eve?" Bulkhead asked. Instantly, their optics darted around the rocky sandy terrain of Jasper, Nevada in search of the British girl.

"Eve? Eve! It's us! Eve?!" Bulkhead called. Panic began to increase. 'Oh no, don't tell me the cons got her too!' Bulkhead worried.

"Bulkhead?" a British cockney voice they were all too familiar with called out.

They turned towards the source and saw Evelyn walking out of a small cave. She saw them and instantly ran over, nearly tripping in the process.

"Eve, are you alright? Have you any injuries?" Optimus asked.

Evelyn shook her head. "I'm fine." She croaked out. "Shaken but fine." Her hair was a mess and there was a small bruise on her elbow from the rough driving but she was otherwise unharmed.

She looked around and her heart dropped when she couldn't spot her guardian. Evelyn bit her lip and clenched her eyes shut. She tried her best to will the tears away as she realized what just happened.

Evelyn actually knew, she already saw the blast knock Smokescreen out but she had clung onto that slim chance that maybe, just maybe the others would've been able to save him in time.

But......now he was....he was.....

"The cons got him, didn't they." She said. It was a statement more than a question.

Optimus nodded. "I deeply apologize, Eve for my failure." He said.

Evelyn blinked away the tears. "It's not your fault, Optimus. It's not....." she said. "Ca-can one of you give me a lift home?" she asked.

"Sure, kid." Bulkhead said and transformed.

Evelyn walked towards him. Arcee felt a pang of sympathy for her. She could only imagine how torn Evelyn was at seeing her partner taken away. Arcee knew what that felt like all too well. But she had to admire how Evelyn managed to find it in herself to not lash out at Optimus and keep it together.....but she could tell she was just barely holding it together.

But it was like Smokescreen's 'death' at the hands of the Dark Star Sabre all over again. Only this time, Arcee wasn't sure what the cons might do to Smokescreen. He was alive but there was no telling how long that would last.

"Eve." Arcee called. Evelyn turned back to look at her and Arcee could see the tears gathering at the corner of her eyes. Arcee knelt down in front of her. "I won't lie to you Eve. I won't say you'll be okay, I know you're anything but okay. But if you need to talk, if you need someone to understand, I'm here." She said.

Evelyn sniffed. "Thanks, Arcee. I'll...see you guys tomorrow." She said before climbing into Smokescreen.

The ride back was silent. Bulkhead adjusted his mirror and saw Evelyn gazing out the window, her head sideways hiding her expression. But that didn't mean he missed the tear that dripped down her cheek.