Dreams

I was dreaming.

At least, I was pretty sure that what was going on right now could only be a dream. If it wasn't, then I should probably start looking into mental hospitals or something quite similar.

Okay, since I wasn't making sense, let me rephrase that. I'm in the past. Like the actual freaking thing.

I was wearing the same clothes someone of a lower standing would wear in the early middle ages and I was confused as hell.

"Well, well, well, look at that," a boy around my age grinned evilly, sharing a laugh with his friends "The village orphan all alone in the woods. What are you doing here, girl?"

I glared at them in contempt "Gathering firewood, what does it look like?"

The leader of the group took a step forward "Mind your tone. What do you think, boys, should we teach her a lesson?"

I stumbled back a few steps at the lewd grins on their faces and one of my hands automatically wandered to my curiously flat stomach. Wait, how? I wasn't pregnant in this dream?

"Leave," I hissed, trying to defend myself against the hands about to grab me. I really didn't want a repeat performance of the stuff that happened after my fifteenth birthday.

Suddenly, a new voice entered the fray "You heard the lady. Leave," he said, sending the others scrambling away. Why I didn't know, but I was glad.

"Thank you, sir." I kept my head down submissively, trying to act more period like.

A hand tilted up my head gently "None of that now. I'm Finn Mikaelson."

I gave him a small smile. I couldn't give him my real name, could I? What do I do? What is- "My name is Sage, my lord."

"Sage," he tested "I like it. And you may call me Finn. I'm not one for properness if it's not called for." Finn leaned towards me conspiratorially "Don't tell my siblings. They think I'm their boring, rule-abiding older brother."

I giggled quietly "You have siblings, my l- Finn?"

"Too many," he bemoaned jokingly "I have four younger brothers and one younger sister."

"That's a lot," I remarked, thinking about my own, nonexistent family.

"They are terrors," he smiled fondly "What about you?"

My smiled turned sad "My family is dead. I moved here to start afresh, but a young, unmarried girl without a family- a man, isn't appreciated," I sneered bitterly. Why was I telling him that? What makes it so easy to talk to him?

"Those boys-"

I shook my head "Nothing I cannot handle. Now, excuse me. I have to get the firewood."

"Allow me to help you," he offered "You shouldn't have to do such hard work alone."

I rolled my eyes "Because I'm a woman?" I spat, not quite thinking of the possible consequences such behaviour could have. After all, he was from a rich family.

"Because even us big, strong men sometimes like to have a companion to share their suffering with," Finn answered, not at all bothered.

Over the next few days, we talked a lot. About everything and nothing, until I woke up again.

"That was weird," I murmured to myself.

"What was?" two voices chorused. My head snapped up and soon I found myself staring at Niklaus and Elijah.

"'Lijah," I grinned "When did you get back?"

He smiled and came over to hug me "A few hours ago. You got bigger."