Serious Conversations

It's been a month since the babies and I came home and everything was well. I had gotten rid of just about all of Mikael's spells, so he did a one-eighty from when the others were children. It was fascinating to watch, really.

I spent most of my time in the nursery, even going so far as to put a desk in there for my school stuff. That has also gone surprisingly well. I was completely caught up and even had my exam dates already. They were next month, a week before my sixteenth birthday and I was studying like crazy. My subject choices for the exams were still more than the six they would usually do, but nothing about me was usual, so they decided to go and see how it turned out. Basically, I was the guinea pig for them to find out if people could handle the workload and everything. Anyway, I was getting tested in SL English Literature, HL Biology, HL Chemistry, HL Maths, HL Psychology, HL Global Politics, SL World History and HL French. For most of my subjects, I already had the curriculum down, but like always History was giving me a bit of trouble, but it wasn't as bad, seeing that I had help in the form of vampires who lived through most of the stuff that would be in the exams. At least something good comes out of my life...

It was all so different. My life turned around so many times in the last ten months and I found people who cared about me and the babies. I still wasn't used to the fact, especially not since my father insisted on calling me at random times, demanding I come back to him and get rid of the 'things I had given birth to'. Up until now I had been lucky and none of the Mikaelsons or even Jenna, Ric or Damon were around, but that couldn't have stayed that way for long.

"Hello?" I answered my phone with trepidation.

"I told you what to do, bitch," my father hissed into the phone on his end "I want you to come back."

I breathed in shakily, walking over to the cribs "And I told you that you have no legal right to me anymore. I'm emancipated and as such, you can go fuck yourself for all I care."

"You do not talk to me like that, Meagan. I knew I should have forced your mother to get an abortion. She wouldn't have died then and I wouldn't have had to take care of you."

"Maybe you should have done that," I agreed quietly, staring at Ash and Jay's sleeping faces. They looked so cute, even more like me than before. After this month, I couldn't imagine my life without them. Every time I wanted to give up, giving in to the pressure my father was putting on me, they helped me out of the darkness. I probably could have told Finn or any of the others, but I was scared. Scared of disappointing them with the wrong choices, scared of what they'd think of me once they found out, just scared really.

I heard a laugh over the line and flinched. The only times I had heard that laugh was when he hit me... "I have to get back to work. Make no mistake. This isn't over yet," he threatened hanging up.

I let out a quiet sob, sinking to my knees. Why? Why couldn't I just be happy for once? Why did everything I-

"Are you alright?" a quiet voice from the door startled me. I didn't even have to look up to recognise the voice. Mikael.

I shook my head, crying into my hands silently.

He sighed and I could hear footsteps coming closer "I heard," he admitted.

"So you did," I breathed, still not looking at him. What would I see? Disgust? Disappointment? Anger? I wasn't sure I wanted to find out.

Suddenly, I could feel strong arms picking me up "You have to talk to someone, little witch. If it isn't Finn or one of my other children, then talk to me, Jenna, Alaric or even Niklaus' mate. What was her name again?"

"Caroline," I hiccuped, hiding my face in his shoulder.

"Yes, Caroline. Sweet girl," Mikael smiled "However she'll be able to handle Niklaus is beyond me though."

I snorted through my tears "Oh, she's got her ways. And if I know her, then she won't take any shit from him."

"Indeed not. You would know about that, wouldn't you?" he laughed quietly, carefully walking down the stairs and into the kitchen of the aptly named Mikaelson Manor. Niklaus had been fixing it up ever since he came to town, saying that they couldn't hog my family's manor forever. Anyway, as soon as it was finished, we all moved in. And with all, I really meant all. Mikael, the five Originals, Jenna and Ric, even Damon and Caroline spent more time here than at their own homes. It had been quite a surprise to all of us when Rebekah and Damon got closer. Surprising, but not unwelcome. They fit well, no matter what the others said. I only pitied Damon, when he was threatened by all of her older brothers plus their father.

Mikael placed me down on the counter in the kitchen, before he pulled out several ingredients he would need for whatever he was trying to do.

"Where are the others?" I asked, rubbing my eyes free of the – now drying – tears.

The Original father looked up at me with a smirk "I think Caroline and Rebekah all forced them to go shopping with them. Didn't Finn tell you?"

"Now that you mention it, yeah! I think there was... something. Poor sods," I shook my head in mock-sadness, earning a chuckle from the man.

"About the phone call," he started nervously "Who was that?"

I swallowed heavily and looked away from him "My father. He's not the best person around... I – When my grandmother died, he became my guardian, however unwilling he was. I got pregnant and he told me to either get rid of them or get lost." I shrugged with a sad smile "I chose the latter option and petitioned for emancipation."

"So you don't have to go back to him, right? You're your own guardian?"

I nodded "Kind of, yes. I can decide most things myself, but there are things that I'm not allowed to do, like... drinking or something similar. Not that I want to do that anyway."

Mikael handed me a cup of hot chocolate and turned a chair to sit on "You know, I have lived more in the last month than I did since I met Esther. She has always been a bit controlling, but I would have never thought that she would go this far. I'm disgusted by what I did to Niklaus and I really can't blame them for hating me."

"They don't hate you," I whispered, taking a sip from the hot beverage "They just need more time. For over a thousand years they thought that you were a villain of sorts. Give them time."

He snorted "How can you take care of everyone like this, but not follow your own advice?"

I blinked in confusion at the constant changes in subject "What?"

"You always give others advice, but you never seem to want to talk to others about your problems. At least not about the important stuff. I'm not going to force you to talk, but it's not healthy to keep everything inside. Just consider it, okay?"

"I... I'll try," I murmured, finishing off the drink "That was pretty good actually," I teased, trying to lighten the mood again. It was too depressed "For someone who has spent the last centuries in a boy that is."

"Hey," he exclaimed, narrowing his eyes in a playful manner "I'll have you know that... Okay, never mind. You're right."

I laughed "I should go back up. I'm almost done with my summary of History."

"You're studying too much. Tomorrow, I'm either dragging you out of the house or I'll get someone else to do it. The short trips outside with the twins don't count," he told me seriously.

"Sure," I shrugged and left the kitchen.