eleven

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S REALLY FUCKING WEIRD?" Anya asked, taking a chip of my plate

We were sat in the cafeteria for lunch time, me next to Anya, Gio and Eli opposite. Eli was typing furiously on his phone while the other three of us chatted aimlessly. Neither Elsie or Theo were nowhere to be seen.

I swatted her hand away, "no what?"

"I, Anya Esmeralda Abioye, have never been to one of your fashion shows." She stated.

"Huh" I looked down at my plate, " I never noticed that."

"I mean can you believe this girl, calls me her bestfriend." Anya tutted, looking over at Eli and Gio. A fake scowl playing on her lips.

Eli looked up, smiled and rolled his eyes.

"Hey hey hey." Elsie's voice interrupted whatever Anya was to say next.

"Hiya." I smile at me, moving along slightly so she could sit next to me.

"Hey Els." Anya said.

"So" Elsie pulled out a large chicken ceaser salad from her bag, "what we talking about?"

"I've never been to one of Sylvia's fashion shows." Anya shot out, giving me a unimpressed look.

I rolled my eyes, "Really wer-"

"I have." Elsie said, stabbing a piece of lettuce with her fork.

"Oh So Elsie's been to one but not me."

"You have?" My brows furrowed, and ignored Anya nattering on in my ear "I don't remember seeing you at one, which one was it?"

"It was a spring collect a while ago, I think it was called ... cosmos? Maybe? I remember I was a model that year."

"Oh the Cosmos Blanche collection!" I cried snapping my fingers,"that was what ? Almost a year ago right?"

"Ooh I remember that collection!" Gio nodded, "the one with the plain white coat dress thing and then the fancy hat."

"Yeah." I nodded, " the ardoise blanche dress"

I didn't let my thick accent hide as I dipped into my mother tongue. Gio seemed surprised.

"You speak French?" He asked.

I let out an airy laugh, "oui, couramment - I do indeed."

"Huh." He seemed to think for a minute, " am I the only person here who doesn't speak two languages?"

"Theo doesn't." Anya pointed out.

"I know that Anya but he's not here right now." Gio replied, sarcastically.

Anya's  eyes narrowed.

"Wait don't you speak Italian?" Eli asked Gio.

"No." Gio replied shortly.

Eli frowned, "but isn't your mum Italian."

"Yeah she is but she doesn't speak it that much, only to my grandparents really but they know English fluently so she doesn't really have much need to even speak to them in it." He clarified.

Eli nodded in understanding and went back to typing up his phone. However soon the bell went, signalling the start of fifth period.

• • •

It was 3:30 when the school day ended and like every Monday afternoon I had my last lesson, textiles, with Anya. We were walking from the arts block over to where our dorms were, Anya filling me in on everything she'd heard throughout the day.

"And then guess what she said?" Anya said turning to face me.

"What?" I asked.

"Tha- oh look." She unhooked her arm from mine and pointed over to the side of the dormitory building.

I followed her gaze and looking over the person she was pointing at.

"Ah." I said, recognising the mess of inky black hair.

A smug smile played on Anyas lips, "Hmm I wonder what he's doing? Maybe he's ...waiting for someone."

"Okay and?" I said quickly, fixing my gaze on the ground "it's not like it will have anything to do with me."

"You sure about that ?"

"Yeah, like , 100%" I replied, still fascinated by the rough gravel under my shoes.

"Why's he coming over here then Sylv ?"

I snapped my head upwards and let out a small groan when I saw she was right. Theo's tall figure was waking towards us, his hands shoved in his pockets and a headphone cord hanging from one ear.

"Hey." He said when he reached us. I peered up through my lashes to see he was staring right at me and quickly looked back at the ground.

"Hi Theo." Anya chirped, "how are you?"

"Good thanks, uh could I talk to you Sylvia?"

I looked over at Anya who was smiling merrily, "sure." I said turning to look back at him.

"I'll see you later Sylv." Anya grinned before quickly skipping over to another group of her friends.

"So." Theo gave me a small smile, "wanna go somewhere with me?"

I scanned his face, looking at his sheepish smile and hopeful eyes, "you gonna kill me?"

"No."

I cocked a brow, eyes narrowing , "will there be food?"

He paused as if thinking for a second "you're hungry?"

I nodded and as if on cue my stomach rumbled.

"Well we can get something on the way." He explained, "you coming?"

"Yeah I'm coming."

A smile tugged at the corner of his lips and he grabbed my hand.

"Let's go then."

• • •
Drafted : 01/04/19
Published : 05/04/19
Word count : 847
Edited : Ye