thirty seven

"CAREFUL

"CAREFUL."

looking upwards immediately, I smiled at the familiar face.

"Chance?" I asked, eyes scanning over his features.

"Hey Sylvia." He smiled, shoving his hands in the pockets of his slacks, "you never came back to visit me."

Remembering the small teashop that we met in, I gave him a small shrug and pitiful smile, "I haven't had time to go back." I stated.

Pushing his glasses back up his nose, he replied, "it's okay, I know you're a busy girl."

"Yeah." I breathed, still slightly surprised he was with me, "do you go to this school? I haven't seen you around."

"Nah." He said, a faint blush rising to his cheeks, "my cousin goes here, I was actually trying  to find her but I guess I got lost."

"This doesn't seem like the way to the girls dorm." he murmured, looking around the slowly emptying corridor.

I giggled, shaking my head, "you're definitely lost then, c'mon I'll show you the way."

Lightly, I reached for his hand , ignoring its warmth and guided him down the corridor and out of the design building.

The walk to our dorms, was pleasant. Conversation flowed easily and soon I forgot that me spending time with Chance wasn't a common thing. We clicked instantly, him trying to pretend he knew this was the way while i chided him on getting lost.

"Ah see I recognise this!" Chance nodded as I swiped my ID to let us into the building.

"You signed in?" I asked, swinging our hands back and forth.

"Mmhm."

"Okey dokey." I said, going to push the heavy door open.

Suddenly, a warm arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me back from the door which was now swinging forwards towards us, that I would've hit my head on.

A blush instantly coated my cheeks as I realised I was pulled to Chances chest, however it instantly died as Theo stepped outside.

Words were lodged in my throat as he sadly eyed my stance up and down, Chances arm protectively covering me. Guilt flooded through my body and I pride myself from the boy behind me, feeling the confusion he held. Theo was still silent and although he has said nothing physically, his eyes said all.

"Nice to see you , Sylvia." He mumbled lowly, eyes flickering to the ground. Tongue lightly  skimming over his lips and he opened his mouth as if to continue, only to cut himself off and keep walking the way he was going.

I paused, watching him make his way to his car.

"Fuck." I muttered, rubbing my face.

"Everything okay?"

I twirled, remembering that Chance was standing behind me with a confused look plastered on his face.

"Was he an ex or something?" He said, tipping his head back to where Theo had gone.

"No!" I spluttered, "no , no! Not an ex. We aren't dating, w-we haven't dated."

Laughing nervously, I rubbed my hands on my jeans in an attempt to calm myself down, "I'm um, actually designing his fiancées wedding dress."

Chances lips parted into a 'o' shape and he nodded awkwardly, "cool."

"Yeah." I trailed off.

"Okay so..." he signalled to the door.

"Oh yeah! Of course, sorry , my bad." I said, going to push it back open. We walked through the foyer , to the lifts in silence, mood completely killed.

Finally after an excruciatingly long minute, the loft doors pinged open revealing Jay and Gio.

"Hey." I smiled at Gio, as he saw me.

"Chance!" Jay squealed, quickly walking over to him and embracing him in a hug.

I sent Gio a perplexed look, but his eyes were focused on Chance who had pulled away from Jay to ruffle her hair.

"Who's that?" He mouthed over to me.

As is she'd heard, Jay looked back over her shoulder to Gio, "baby this is my cousin Chance."

My brows rose at the term of endearment, "baby huh?" I echoed.

The red head ignored me, too focused on introducing the two boys, who awkwardly shook hands.

"Oh!" Chance said, sticking his hand out to me, "Jay this is Sylvia."

She laughed, turning to me, "I know Sylv! We sit together in science."

"Ahh." Chance nodded, "well Sylvia thank you for helping me find my cousin."

"Anytime." I said, shooting him a small grin, "it was lovely seeing you."

"I guess you'll be going then?" He replied, eyes flickering to the empty lift I had made my way over to.

"Yeah." I smiled, pressing my floors button, "I'll see you around Chance."

"Bye." He chuckled, waving to me as the doors closed.

Finally alone, I let out a sigh, leaning back against the cold wall of the lift. Pulling out my phone, I checked my messages until I came to my floor.

Texting away to Anya as I walked to my dorm, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the keys, unlocking the door to my dorm.

Instantly I heard the crunch of plastic . I jumped a little, taken by surprised and looked down at to the base of my door to say a bunch of roses. Slipping my phone in my pocket. I reached down to them, picking them up and reading the smudged message on the tag.

'I need to talk to you - T'

• • •

Drafted : 29/09/19
Published : 29/09/19
Word count : 893
Edited : No