fourteen

WHEN I SAW ANYA, my happy bubble from the evening shattered

She was sitting on the floor in her bathroom, face splotchy with tear marks and tracks, as she desperately searched something up on her phone.

"Anya?" My voice came out hoarse as I greeted her.

"Sylvia, oh my god." She said as she looked up to where I was in the doorway, pushing some of her hair back.

My eyes widened in horror taking in her appearance, "Anya, sweetie, what the hell happened?" I said diving down to the floor next to her.

My eyes worriedly scanned over her face, taking in  the large patches of angry chemical burns that were now covering it in certain sections.

Her face broke down and she instantly started sobbing, "oh Sylvia it was so, so, so so stupid and it hurts fucking so much." she whimpered. I'm

"Anya.." I said again, cupping her face so I could see her burns properly. "What did you even..?." 

She let out a strangled cry as my fingers brushed the burns and instantly knew what she had done.

"Where is it?" I asked, letting go of her and looking around the messy bathroom in a panic.

"N-no!" She cried between heavy breaths, " Sylvia you d-don't understand, i-i wasn't I swear!"

"Anya" I said softly pushing down any emotion I had, "it doesn't matter right now what matters is trying to calm these chemical burns down. Ok? So just trust me now."

She nodded weakly, leaning back against the wall.

"I'm going to get the first aid kit, is it in the kitchen?"

"Under the sink." She nodded weakly.

I smiled sympathetically and walked out of the room, letting out a breath I didn't know I had been holding. Grabbing my phone from my pocket I quickly texted Elsie who said she would be over in 5.

Scampering over to the kitchen, I quickly flung open the draws searching through them until I found the green first aid kit. Grabbing a bottle of water I made my way back over to the hallway where Elsie was just putting her coat on the hanger.

"Hey ." She said, rubbing her sweaty palms on her jeans, "I got here as quick as I could, whats the even happening?"

I opened my mouth to reply but she spotted the first aid kit in my hands and freaked out, "oh my god, oh my god is it bad? Is it bad? Is it really, really bad? What's happened?"

"Elsie it's ok." I softened my voice, trying to calm her down, "Anya just had some chemical burn on her face again."

Elsie's face dropped with realisation, her brows creasing in sadness.

"From bleached skin?" She asked, whispering.

I nodded, casting my eyes to the floor, "I think so, she didn't tell me specifically but I recognise them from previously."

Elsie shook her head and sighed, walking over to the bathroom. I followed in silence behind her, thinking.

"Hey Anya." Elsie pushes the door open to the bathroom.

"Elsie? You called Elise?" Anya voice cracked, "why would you do that?".

"I needed the help Anya, I can't clean all of these burns as effectively as she can." I replied, talking a seat on the floor next to her, "would you rather I call Theo? Or Gio or Eli?"

Anya sighed, "no."

I placed the water bottle down and Elsie opened it up, wetting a flannel while I got out dressing and bandages.

We worked in silence , Elsie cleaning the burns and apply the cream while I dressed the wounds the best I could.

Elsie broke the silence, "why Anya? Why would you do it again?"

Anya looked up at us through bloodshot eyes, "I felt it was needed."

" but Anya you don't need to change anything about you, you're beautiful just the way you are. The colour of your skin makes no difference. "

"You don't get it do you?" Anya sniffed, "both of you."

I brought my hand away from her face, "what do you mean?"

"I don't want to talk about it Sylvia." She snapped, "just , just drop it"

Looking down, I chewed the inside of my cheek and started packing up the first aid kit. I stood up, and made some excuse about having to put in back, before backing swiftly out of the room. Closing the door behind me I let out a small sigh, trying to calm myself down and wrap my head around what was happening.

My hands were shaking and emotions threatening to surface as I placed the green box back under the sink.

"Hey"

I turned to see Anya leaning against the door frame for the kitchen. She gave me the best smile she could with the strapping across her face.

"Hi." I said, leaning back against the counter tops.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you." She said, looking down at the floor and fiddling with the hem of her top, "it wasn't right and I know you just want the best for me and to make sure I'm ok b-"

"Anya." I said softly and she looked up, eyes teary as she met my gaze.

I opened my arms and she ran into my hug, wrapping her arms around me.

"It's ok." I said patting her head, "Everything's ok"

She sniffled into my shoulder, holding me tighter as if I was about to disappear.

"can we have a sleepover tonight?" She asked pulling away, "I doubt I'll be going to school tomorrow and I need some company."

"Of course!" I cracked a smile, "what about Elsie?"

"She has to go." Anya said, "something about meeting someone? I'm not too sure."

I nodded, giving her a small grin, wiping away a stray tear from under my eye, " I love you my beautiful and talented best friend."

"Love you too Sylv." She sniffled, " now where's my champagne? Today's been way too long."

I barked out a laugh and followed her, knowing that with Anya tonight could get very, very messy.

• • •

Drafted : 20/04/19
Published : 24/04/19
Word count : 1109
Edited : No

Hey guys , I hope this chapter was okay lol.

Not going to lie I was unsure about this whole chapters theme, idea and concept but I thought fuck it and here it is.

Skin beaching is a real and a very controversial topic and also one which hasn't been addressed a lot, so I thought I might try and bring a bit of attention to it.

Maybe shine some light on a situation that hasn't been discussed a lot.

I'm not very sure lol, but here it is.

Georgia x