13

When we got downstairs, after 'tidying up' (we threw all of her clothes into her closet and she claimed she would clean it all up on Sunday) both the boys were on the couch watching a basketball game. They looked up as we entered the room. Lea had changed into a pair of skinny jeans but kept her white t shirt on. We planned to find her a new shirt after we got our nails done.

"Whoa," Jake said as he stared at his sister. She looked at him shyly. "You look different."

"Uhm.. Thanks?" She looked away obviously embarrassed. I looked from her to the boys. Jake was still staring, and Eli looked over his sister before his eyes slid to me. There was a look that I didn't comprehend in them before he went back to Lea.

"You look beautiful," Eli spoke up as he slapped Jake in the back of the head.

"Yeah you do," Jake rubbed the back of his head. "You always do, I just- you- this is just a different look for you. I like it," he smiled his Jake smile.

Lea visibly brightened up. I smiled at the confidence her new look gave her. She was so naturally beautiful that not having the black liner just peeled back the stand off vibe.

"Thanks," she mumbled. "Well, we are going shopping. I'll see you guys tonight?" she said awkwardly.

"Yeah, maybe we'll have a movie night!" Jake was smiling a little too big for a movie night. I laughed at him.

"Let's go," Lea pulled me by my arm and we headed for the door.

"Raina," that deep voice that I have come to love, sounded even better saying my name. I turned to see Eli standing at the door. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" I glanced at Lea, we both knew he meant alone. She smiled and gave me a small nod before heading to my car.

"Wait," I called to Lea. I tossed her the keys and she smiled even bigger. "Just start it," i warned. She gave me a wicked grin before strutting off.

I walked back to Eli to meet him on the porch. He had shut the front door and was leaning against the white railing. I stood next him and we looked out to the driveway as we stood side by side.

He was quiet for a moment. I wondered if he was going to bring up last night, the fight or my brother or why he had come over.

He turned to me and holding out his hand to me, "here." I couldn't see what was in it, so I laughed instead of trying to take whatever it was.

"What is this? I am not about to take some sort of bug you have in there."

He looked at me completely confused. "What?" He shoved his hand at me again. I laughed and crossed my arms over my chest. What was he? Five years old?

His confusion turned to anger and he grabbed my wrist with his other hand to pull my hand to him. My wrist was instantly on fire from his touch. He slapped his hand to mine and I looked down. When he removed his hand he left behind a wad of cash.

Uhm what?

"What is this??" I looked at it with an even more horrified look than if he had set a grasshopper in his hand.

"Not a bug, that's for sure," he huffed shaking his head. "What do you think I am? Five?"

Despite the odd conversation, I laughed again. There was something about Eli that made me not be able to contain any of my emotions. I hadn't cried in front of anyone besides my family for years, until last night. In my defense, he was the only one of my friends who has ever tried fighting my family, but still. I don't cry.

"Well, I wasn't sure. You do seem to always try to do anything you can to annoy me," I said in a light tone. He didn't comment, he just turned back to lean against the railing and look out at my car with Lea in it. I followed his lead and leaned against the railing.

"Use the money to pay for whatever you guys end up doing today," he instructed.

"I have money," I turned to him holding out the hand that he had put the money in. He just glanced at me before looking back to Lea. When I didn't follow his lead he took my hand, more softy this time, and pushed it to my side. I didn't push back. I was too caught up in his hand on me. When he pulled away, my wrist felt colder than it should have and I pulled my arms into myself as he put his arm back on the railing.

He was quiet for a moment, and I took the time to watch him for a second. He was truly beautiful. I wanted to run my fingers through his dark hair flowing gently onto his forehead. His lashes fluttered in the tender breeze breathing on us. His jaw was strong and determined. He had a slight cut on the bottom of his full lips, from last night I assume. He also had a purple bruise forming on his jawline that I longed to run my fingers over.

"Thank you," he said in a low voice. For a second I almost peed myself thinking I might have spoken my thoughts of his gorgeousness out loud.

"For what?" I hadn't had I? There was no way i'd be able to live this one down.

"For taking her out. For the makeup and how happy she is," relief flushed my whole body. "I know it's because of you."

I shuffled uncomfortable next to him, unsure what to say. It wasn't like I was doing it for him, or anyone actually. I liked Lea. There was no reason for him to have to thank me, like I was doing some sort of chore.

But before I could say any of this, he stood and headed back for the door. "If you move any slower she'll be twenty by the time you take her out," he growled sarcastically over his shoulder as i stared after him. Once he was in the house I shoved the money in my pocket and ran to my car. I never checked how much he had given me, probably a couple twenties. I thought about still paying with my own money, but somehow I knew Eli would kill me if I did.