64

"Get in.. GET IN!!"

For some odd reason my mind instantly flashed to the Notebook. You know the scene where Noah is begging for Allie to get in the lake, but she was too scared? Yah. That was me.. Eli was Noah as he started off softly before growling at me like a rabid wolf. His aggressive yell caused me to squirm the same way Allie had before she finally listened and jumped.

The fact that I could think about the Notebook right now was incredible.. Let me set the scene to show you just how incredible it really was.

I was standing on the edge of the sidewalk, when Eli had drifted to a stop in front of me in that car of his that would be the death of us I swear. He had leaned across the passenger seat and pushed my door open to wave me in. My body was frozen, cemented to the sidewalk as I stared at him. I saw the red and blue lights of the police cars coming from our way from my left out of my peripheral vision, and I could hear the sound of the vile Rottweilers sprinting at me from my right. It was dawn, the sky was beginning to lighten in the east like it should, but there was an even brighter light coming from the west. Behind me, the sky was bright from something far less appealing than the sunrise, behind me the burning building cast a silhouette over the city.

So again, it was quite incredible really, that I could clearly picture Ryan Gosling's face in my mind's eye.

Wait.

I think I skipped something..

Let me back up.

*rewind*

Eli's lips on mine- WAIT. Too far.. Move forward.

He released my hand to give my thigh a comforting squeeze. We were silent the rest of the way.

There we are..

As we raced through Denver's streets and I would have admired how pretty the city lights were if the fear in me hadn't had my body shaking uncontrollably. Eli's tenseness wasn't helping.

His eyes moved from the road, to me, to the rear view mirror the way a broken record plays the last phrase of a love song on repeat. I had my hand over his on my thigh as I stared out the window. He gave my hand a small squeeze and I turned to look at him.

"You're going to be okay," he said as he looked at me very seriously. "I won't let anything happen to you."

"I know," I said in a small voice. That wasn't what scared me, I knew Eli and Jonny would never let anything happen to me. it wasn't me I was worried about. They would do anything to protect me, and that's what scared me the most. I couldn't let them risk their lives for me over and over, again and again. It was wrong, and selfish.

"I'm sorry," I said as I looked down at my hand in his. His fingers were long, his knuckles were broken and his hands scarred- they were art. They same type of art that entrapped all of Eli. I had so many times caught myself thinking he was beautiful, but as I thought of it now, I knew that wasn't a good enough word for him. He was so much more than that. The only thing that seemed to repeatedly come to mind was the idea of a fallen angel. He was as perfectly sculpted as an angel should be, yet his tormented heart and bruised soul seemed to force my soul ache for his. He looked over at me now, and I confirmed to myself that that's what he was, an angel that fell from the Heavens to protect me and take all the pain we couldn't bear alone. And by 'we', I mean the lucky ones, the ones that he has decided are worth all the pain in the world if he could just bring us back to where he had come from with him.