88

Is Jake okay?

Where is Jake?

When can I see Jake?

Is Jake okay?

Why won't you let me see Jake?

Is Jake still in surgery?

When will we know about Jake?

As the officers interrogated me over and over about the events that led to me sitting on the asphalt sobbing in my mother's arms, I didn't let them get away without my own questions.

I wanted to know what was going on. I wanted to make sure he was okay.

If he wasn't it would have been my fault. It would have been on me that he had ran outside, and that he had fought them in the first place. All of it would have been on me, and I would never be able to live with myself like that. I didn't know what I would have done, but I knew it wouldn't be good.

I couldn't handle that. I wasn't strong enough to bear the thought of being the reason that Jake-

I couldn't finish the thought. I just needed to know he was okay.

But no one would answer me.

My chest ached and my eyes were definitely swollen. I could practically feel how red they were. Despite the redness and the constant blurred vision, nothing seemed to stop the way my eyes seemed to always meet Eli's as his were always on me.

His head was tilted and he was talking to Levi after he had just finished with one of the officers. I glanced up, only to see him once more- that's what I kept telling myself: 'just one more look, that's it'- and found his eyes look up to meet mine. The brown was different now, darker. Maybe it was just the night. His were rimmed with red and it tore at my soul. He still had his brother's blood on his white shirt as I did on my sweater. His face seemed to be even more beautiful in the night with the dim lighting giving his sharp features so alluring it was almost painful.

I pulled away first, as always.

I sighed.

"You okay?" D asked as she stood by my side.

"I just don't know what more they want from me," I nodded to the men in uniforms talking among themselves. "I told them everything," I lied.

I did tell them everything I knew about the men who shot Jake, I would never hold that back. Jake deserved justice and Dillon deserved what would come to him. But when they asked me why I had ran from the fight in the first place, what had led to Jake chasing after me, I had no answer.

"I couldn't stand to watch my brother fight," I had told the older handsome man after pausing for too long. "This was the first fight I had been to, and it was hard to see him like that," my eyes drifted to Jonny and Eli talking to their own officers as I lied. I wondered how their stories were rolling out.

"It's okay," D rubbed my arm. She was small without her heels on. She stood in an over sized pair of tennis shoes that Levi had given her from his truck. She looked like a child, but the way she looked at Levi was much more than a childish love. "They just need a lot of information to get Dillon. Has your mom heard anything yet?"

"I don't know," my mother had gone inside to see if she could get any more information out of her co workers on Jake's status. She had been quiet ever since I had spilled my guts out to her. Something about the way she had looked around made me think maybe she was in shock. As if half of what I had told her hadn't hit her yet.

"She hasn't come back out yet," I looked toward the doors. I don't even know why were talking outside. This was stupid. I wanted to know about Jake. I didn't care about anything else. "Can we go inside? I'm freezing."