91

The silence after Jake's words was thicker than molasses and honey on a negative three degree day.

*Jonny clears throat*

"I won my fight," his voice was tight, almost awkward as he spoke.

My head moved slowly as I turned to stare at my brother. At first I was shocked and confused, then I nearly couldn't hold in my laughter, and when my eyes met with D's I broke.

We both struggled to keep our smiles under control as giggles bubbled up in both of us.

"That's cool," Jake nodded as if he approved. His eyes were tired and he looked like an old professes approving of his students answer. A whole new wave of laughter threatened to take over. For a slight moment I wondered if I was crazy, then I remembered how little of sleep and how crazy these last couple days have been and I decided to give myself the slightest leeway.

I let out a giggle that quickly became more.

I began to laugh uncontrollably, and D followed. My hands reached up to cover my mouth in horror. I was hysterical, I was sure of it.

My hysteria led to a room full of it when Jake smirked before chuckling.

"I got shot but sure, Jon, we can talk about you," Jake rolled his eyes as he laughed and the tension in the room began to shatter to the floor. I took in a deep breathe and let myself just listen to the sound of all the laughter, even Lea was smiling now.

Of course, my eyes couldn't help themselves. I looked across the bed to the boy who had stood on the opposing corner of the hospital bed, but he wasn't there anymore.

My eyes scanned the room quickly as I looked for Eli.

"I-" I turned back to Jake. "I am so happy you're awake, but I have to pee." I turned to walk away after bluntly excusing myself from the room. "Before I pee my pants," I called back to them to be sure no one thought it to be suspicious. I heard the crowd begin to laugh and I knew no one noticed Eli had departed before me.

I made my way down the hall toward the waiting room. I couldn't find him at first. This was too much. I stopped as my head felt light.

Stop being such a baby, you weren't the one that was shot. My subconscious was the worst on days like this. I rolled my eyes and ignored her. I kept moving and looking around the room for Eli's tall figure. I caught a peak of his dark shadow looming outside the glass doors.

I cringed at the sight. His dark clothes were that of the grim reaper with the hospital looming over him, but instead of causing fear to trickle through my veins, I felt sorry for the reaper himself. I felt sorry for the cursed boy who couldn't seem to catch a break no matter what.

My heart became heavier than ever as I walked through the double doors to the cloudy autumn air. He didn't see me until I was directly in front of him, and even then, his eyes seemed to pass over me rather than actually see me the way they used to. They were glossed with a barrier that was four times thicker than I had ever seen even when we had first met.

I stood in front of him allowing the moments to pass before I realized I was just staring, unable to think of something to say. He didn't seem to mind as he stared back.

"Did Jake send you out here to make sure I don't show my face in there again?" his voice was without emotion.

"He didn't mean that, you know that," I told him even though I wasn't sure about either part of that statement.

His dark coffee eyes looked me over for a moment, reaching as if he wanted to believe me, but the defeat drowned them in a moment and I knew he couldn't. He couldn't believe me when his brother had just shunned him.