Chapter 3

A Taste 

.   .   .

Sometimes, not everything we want we get. Take now for instance, I have dreaded Lexi's presence all morning and wanted nothing more than for her to shoo off.

But as said, I didn't get what I wanted, instead I'm stuck with her in a car on a Sunday morning when I should be hanging out with my friends or even searching for a new law firm to work at.

I mean her presence I can deal with. What I can't deal with though, is her cheap style in music.

It's my car, should be my music too. Instead I'm here doomed and listening to some weird overrated mumble rappers who probably have more weed and alcohol in their vessels than their red blood cells; well, you get what I mean.

"Adam, work is this way." She said, pointing at the other lane.

"I know," I replied shortly.

"And?" She snapped again, I threw her a quick glance then looked back ahead. She cleared her throat, catching my attention again.

"What?" I asked.

"Where are you going?" She asked me, confusion in her eyes. I acted as if I didn't hear her due to the loud music; she took notice of my action and shut the radio off. I mentally high fived myself for that genius move.

"No seriously! Are you kidnapping me?" She asked with that taken-off-guard glint in her eyes. I literally wanted to gag here and there? Murder maybe. But kidnap?

"Are you stupid?" I asked calmly.

"No."

"Then, no"

She laid back at the chair but her eyes were still alerted. She kept glancing at her window then back at mine. She even kept staring at the rear-view mirror. What kind of passenger does that? I wanted to laugh at her expenses but that was a very nice way to shut her up so I decided against it.

In truth I wasn't going anywhere, I knew a nice shortcut that would lead me to the company, but instead of enduring 30 whole minutes with Lexi's presence I reduced it to 15 instead. Half the time, sounds good, feels good.

I parked at the other side of the lot. As I turned off the ignition I noticed that she was so tense beside me. The tension in the car was so thick, so I got out faster than usual.

I walked over to the entrance with Lexi hot on my heels, her expression softened when she noticed where we were. I thought of going to pick up Maple for a moment but I knew better than to, they both hate each other like hell. Plus, I'm certain she's trying to convince the newspaper to take her back in.

Entering the company, the security guard made way for me to pass since he knew me but asked for Lexi's ID. I got in before she got her ID out so I can escape her, even though I'm glad she didn't make much noise in the car, you never know what's happening next.

Even though my dear father has a lot of companies and whatnot, he always prefers this one particularly. It was his first and most successful project so he enjoys it better than any other one, even though the rest are more modern buildings than this one, he's kind of alleged to this one.

He started off as a pharmacist in a regular pharmacy close from our old apartment at the countryside. When he made some good amount of money he opened a big mall-like building with a lot of pharmacies in them. He lost half his money trying on this project, it worked at the end but after a lot of built-up rents.