Chapter 25: EPILOGUE

.    .    .

"Oh my god! I've missed you!"

Today was no ordinary day.

After waiting for three years. Three whole years! She was finally out.

I saw her figure run up to me before we crashed into a bone-crushing hug. I lifted her up from the ground before swirling her around.

"I've missed you way too much!" I said before kissing the side of her face.

"It feels great to be free again! Oh my you have no idea how happy I am to see you." We embraced each other again before letting go, I kissed her once again then we were off in the streets.

If you're lost let me tell you what happened. It took me five visits to the prison for Maple Red to believe me when I say I had nothing to do with my father's plan. After that we were fine with each other. I would visit her regularly and finally she was out.

Her red hair grew longer in these past three years, now reaching her mid back. Even though she looked beautiful and ravishing, she also looked tired. Jail took a toll on her.

I was tired too, but a little comfortable than her. At least I slept on my bed not on some metal bed.

Let me fill you on what happened from my side in these past three years. My father has disappeared and until this day they can't locate him, I was right when I said that he changed his name, a name I don't even know of.

The rest of the gang though, they paid a lot to bail their way out of jail, but what did they win? Nothing, all their money was gone with the wind. The government took their Job license away from them, leaving them with no money or a job. They got shamed and cyber-bullied a lot around the days, so every family upped and left, taking their children with them and they left for another country to start a new life with the remaining cash that they have in their pockets.

My mother on the other hand, stayed here in the country and faced the peer. But she dipped away from the public life into the private sea, nobody knows how she's handling it, but one of the maids said that she drinks her sorrow away, I tried to keep tabs on her just in case.

I spent quite some time not contacting my mother, and since Maple was a prisoner and my father was a runaway, things got pretty lonely. With some money I decided to finally reach my dream and become an architect. I spent the last three years taking a degree in architecture, I graduated with a BA from UCB this year and I have even found a good stable job that I like and would offer me real money.

I didn't need my father in anything, although I would admit that I tried reaching out to him a couple of times. But I mean, if trained Central intelligence agents can't find him then how can I?

The ton reacted badly when they heard about it, they even shamed everyone from his cronies, and vandalism has it, that he's drawn with the worst cusses you can think of in every corner of the city.

I tried not to think whether I'm bothered by it or not. It's not important now.

I wrapped my arms around Maple as we walked down the streets. Life was good again.

Two years later the announcement of the death of Freddie O'Neil was announced. They figured out that he was hiding in some island beside Australia when they found him dead. The details weren't disclosed yet, but at least it was a natural death better than being executed.

When we went to the funeral it was the first time to see my mom in five whole years. I went over and hugged her gently when she melted in my arms, she was crying so hard, and my heart ached at that sight. She partook a huge part in a murder deal with my father; it's not something I would forgive her for.

But we all deserve second chances. And Sasha O'Neil looked like she deserved another chance. I knew she quit the field ever since the incident, but seeing her now so fragile and broken made me regret not doing it sooner.

When she noticed the wedding ring on my finger her eyebrows rose up high, it was then when I confessed that I married Maple O'Neil now one year ago. Happy tears slipped from her eyes when a pregnant looking Maple walked to greet her. And even though she was wearing mourning clothes she seemed happy again.

To me my father died the moment he ran out and left. My mother was left alone. I had to pay my respects though.

Not many people were at the funeral, because a lot of people hated Freddie after they knew what he has done. It was just his gang, us and some other relatives. I didn't want the inheritance even though it was an uncountable sum.

We decided to give it to hospitals and donate even some to the medical schools specially the ones who served for the professions which my father ruined. Along with other stuff, I didn't want to touch any of that money as a matter of fact.

We even sold the house and my mother came to live with us in the countryside where Maple and I live now, at a beautiful two story townhouse.

And when the days passed and it was time for Maple to give birth, I just prayed and prayed and prayed that I would be a good father and I won't do my kid no good like it was done to me.

But when little Joe came to us all my worries flew away.

We draw our own happy endings, and even though my past was miserable, I wouldn't let it control my future.

But none of that matters, all that matters is to live your present. Because even in the weirdest of places, I found my happy ending.

.........

-Nardine Nader Maurice.