Chapter 4

Busted

. . .

"It's too dangerous for us to, and you know it." I reasoned, but she wouldn't bulge one bit.

"I need to prove to the people who the real Freddie O'Neil is. I have been shamed a million times because of that man--"

"Maple, you started the beef by writing those articles, and you know it." I said, while crossing my hands over my chest.

"Oh! So you're on his side now?" She arched her left eyebrow up. I shrugged nonchalantly.

"I'm just making you face facts." I turned around to walk out of the room, "plus, he's my father." I added.

"Oh you mean, he's your ATM."

"Maple, don't push it!" I gritted through my teeth. I mean away from the fact that who was she to talk, I never liked it when people said I'm living off my father's money. And she knew that all too well, save to say she was pushing my buttons. "Why are we arguing, anyhow?"

"You ask me." She hushed under her breath. I shook my head then started strolling.

I huffed loudly, the tension was thick as hell, and we didn't even do anything yet. We had to get inside so we can know what he's planning. It concerns me because nobody knows what the INC is about. The name itself raises enough suspicion. Why would he name a project Apple?

Freddie O'Neil was never the secretive type. He would always inform the whole globe about the new company or factory or you name it. But this time it's different, I even heard him in a interview say that there will be no cameras inside where the competition is held. That's the reason why I want to go in and expand my knowledge where it's concerned.

Away from the fact that I see the bad in my father more than anybody else in this whole world, Apple is a world that I would like to unravel.

But Maple got it different, she wants to cooperate in the competition so she can spy and cause a scandal to my father. So we both have different and at the same time similar reasons to why we want to get in that Apple competition.

We went in through the escalator then out of it, the tension was thick; that was a fact. We were in the middle of the day and we have already fought. Surprisingly, we acted normally once we came out of the elevator.

Think of it that way, I'm his only son; ergo the only heir. Most people assume I know every single frickin detail about my father, his projects or his whole whereabouts from dusk till dawn. It's an image we've always tried to maintain, whilst in reality I know nothing more than you do.

"Can you take me home?" I heard Maple's voice from beside me, I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Let's go grab a bite or something." I said back, she nodded at me as we made our way towards my black car.

"Where to?" She asked once we were inside and seated in the car, I turned on the ignition as I thought it over. "Anywhere," I replied curtly.

I drove to the nearest diner I laid my eyes on, the letters 'sunshine' were written atop the diner. Parking my car in the lot, we both climbed out of the car in no time, it felt homey, we ate and drank, laughed, joked and by the time we were done the tension was as gone as the wind.

We drove back home after that, the Aura of the penthouse engulfed me. I got inside and changed while she followed suit. Plopping down on the couch in front of the television, I turned it on and kept flipping between the channels, not finding anything interesting for me.