Chapter 22

They're Back

.   .   .

"But how!" She screamed. "We were there the whole time-HE was there the whole time. When did they burn it?"

Maple Red went on and on about it as she walked around the room, screaming, hollering and throwing things at the wall.

Or at me.

I was currently sitting on the couch back home in my living room, the television was on, nothing new.

The world was going hectic about the news of the death of all these people. I'm honestly surprised with how technology and science are very highly innovative these days yet they can't figure out the cause behind the slaughters.

"Shit just hit the fan." She said as she finally stopped moving around. "I mean, we have proof and we're still alive which is very lucky for us, thank god. But your father knows, and it's like we can't prove anything against him! I mean, it's bad enough that he knows! This is too much, TOO MUCH!" And with that she left the room and walked somewhere else.

I leaned my head back, it would've been better if we didn't participate in Apple in the first place. Now we have a lot of weight on our shoulders and I'm certain my father is putting us under his watch the whole time. This is my high school trauma all over again.

When I thought things couldn't go any worse, the news channel I was watching started talking about a name that most definitely caught my attention.

"MAPLE!"

"What?!" She yelled from inside, I told her to come inside the room which she obliged.

When she came in, her gaze swept over to the television followed by a waterfall of profanities dripping from her lips.

"What do you mean they're back? They can't be." She came and sat beside me on the couch as we both stared at the news open-mouthed.

Apple participants and married couple Jonah and Linda Raymond were found alive days post the announcement of their death. The couple claimed that they have never heard let alone participated in the competition. Sources mentioned that they were lost and stripped down from head to toe for days while they were hiking. Mr. Raymond mentioned that they had lost everything from the car to everything inside it, it being all the identification cards, passports etc. etc....

The police are currently investigating the case of identity theft that had happened to the couple. A group of teenagers had confessed that a man and a woman of late twenties had took the identifications and bought their silence with a ten-thousand grand. Unfortunately for the Raymonds, the teenagers could not remember the faces of the thieves due to the ski-masks that they wore while doing the deed. Genders are still under consideration.

We ask our audience that if they have any idea who the thieves may be to contact one of the Roomtime hotline numbers written at the bottom of the screen. From your local journalist, Robert Baker.

"Double crap."

"They can't find us, the only way was through these kids who may have ended up as snitches but at least they didn't give us out." She shrugged.

"CCTV." I stated. "They figure out everything in the end."

She sighed loudly as we both rested our head on the headset.

"I don't want to go to jail...." she said, sadness lacing her voice, I was afraid she was about to cry, she's been doing that a lot lately and it gets very awkward for me.