Chapter 16

Caught In The Middle

.   .   .

Even though I was dripping in sweat, out of breath, whole body-ache and helplessly lost, it's still safe to say that running was the easiest part of it all.

What to do now was the major problem and question. I felt like a coward, I was hiding. I was lost in a different area with three armed Epidermises hot on my heels.

It was a no brainer that I was going to get caught, and deeply in trouble, that is. But I was too afraid to stand still and let them take me or whatever.

Men pride their egos. A well-known fact, it's because I'm a man I should be brave, strong, big and every other manly feature you could put a name on. And everybody knows that cowardice doesn't really fit in that particular area. I'm a man and I have proof.

So why the hell am I being a baby and hiding behind a tree?

The what if's never stopped whirling around my brain. I finally decided that when they show up, I'm not taking the fugitive role and instead I'll just go and present myself.

All thoughts were thrown into the recycle bin as soon as I heard one of the bulky men's voices. I sprinted like I haven't done before. The sky above me— as deceiving as it is— was cloudy and the sun almost burnt my skin. The decor was on point I'll give him that.

I caught sight of the man running around again with the animal behind still chasing him. He was wearing the same suit as me. Just in a different color.

Maybe if I run ahead or next to him the guards won't notice or take him instead? I pondered. I'd be putting him in great danger and he was innocent. Plus, I don't think the men here are stupid enough to fall for my—

"AHH!" I groaned aloud. A seething pain was detected on my back. My whole spine deflated suddenly and I felt like being shock.

My whole muscles contracted as my neck flicked around and I was suddenly falling knee first then whole body down to the floor.

Then all I saw was darkness.

. . .

"Aww!" I moaned.

I don't know how far off I was, but I knew that it was for a while now. I wasn't tied, I wasn't somewhere dark, I wasn't handcuffed to the wall in a dungeon with rats running around, no.

I was in an office.

Like a business office, I was settled on a brown oak chair which was directly in front of a matching big oak desk. There was a small glass table in front of me, four navy blue-colored walls with HDF underneath. The lightning wasn't much, and behind the aforementioned desk there was a big boss wheeled-chair. The one with black silk and there was always a jacket suit laid on it for reasons beyond me.

It seemed weird per glance, where was I? This place gave me the chills. And the ear-splitting voice coming from somewhere downstairs did nothing to calm down my heart.

I switched in my seat and sat in a proper position. It was then when I noticed a white card paper on the glass table.

Press the button when fully awakened, both mentally and physically.

Weirded out, I did as mentioned. I pressed on the red button that was in the middle of the oak desk. Approximately two minutes later—according to the clock on the wall—the door behind the big chair flew open and there was a silhouette behind it.

"Oh sweet lord!" I muttered under my breath, but whoever this mysterio is, he heard it. Because he chuckled after it, a laugh that ignited my hate every time I heard it. A sign of truce, supposedly, but nothing in this man smelled positive.