Chapter 6

Pre-apple

.   .   .

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the pre-competition— or what we would call—Preapple of 2020." A voice beamed from the speakers all around the room.

The room held about one-hundred people, of different genders, ages, and looks. Which made me worry even more if we would pass or not.

"Please go in front of the pass door your number is written on, you'll find the number written with a bold letter at the back of your ticket."

I opened the envelope that had my ticket in and got the ticket out, flipping it over I searched for the said number.

"I'm 5." I told Maple as I read it out loud.

"3," she answered back.

She waved at me as each of us walked to the pass door as said, the line consisted of about fifteen people. My line wasn't that busy yet, there were about six people in front of me.

I fetched my phone out and started to scroll through my social media till the next announcement.

I noticed the line started moving, spinning around, I saw the fifteen people all gathered now. I put my phone back in and walked ahead.

"Please put your phone and any metallic object including a belt or a clock in here." The man wearing the Red Preapple uniform said from beside the pass door. I did as said and walked inside the scanner, when it didn't beep the guy motioned for me to continue ahead.

I followed the guy that was standing in front of me towards the unknown destination since I had no idea where to go to. He stopped in front of the door written on it the number 5. The hallway we were walking in had cream blank wallpaper and ceramic —same shade— floor, and literally no decorations surrounding the corridor.

The wooden door automatically opened after waiting for almost three minutes, the guy in front of me entered at once. I leaned on the door frame, waiting.

I couldn't help but notice how everyone was different from the other. Take that for an instant, the boy behind me is no older than thirteen, the two girls on the other door— honestly I have no idea what their age is, but probably between fifteen and twenty five. And then there is grandpa on the other side.....

Suddenly, I fell flat on my side; I raised my head and noticed that I was inside a room–the room.

It took me a couple of seconds to realize what happened; the door automatically opened. And since I was leaning on it with my full weight I fell.

"Mr. Raymond pardon me but can you please stand up?" The Red preapple uniform guy said from behind the desk.

"Daniel?" I asked in disbelief as I got up, once my feet were away from the door the scanner automatically closed the door back.

"Excuse me, do I know you?" Daniel asked.

I nodded eagerly as I walked towards him and sat on the chair in front of him.

"Yes, you don't remember me? I'm Ada—"

I stopped over there, Daniel was one of the people who worked for my father but in my favor, according to my father he was qualified enough so 'why not?' But that's the point, in my favor; in Adam O'Neil's favor.

Right now I'm not Adam, I'm "Jonah Raymond," I said as I raised my hand for Daniel to shake. He shook it uncertainly.

"I know that," he raised the paper In front of him and showed it to me, "how do you know mine?"