The Season of Change

The first time everything started to change, it was a basic spring morning. It was cozy under my blankets, the birds weren't chirping, well, maybe they were but I had thick windows, thank heavens. As usual, I was refusing to leave the warmth of my blanket cocoon just yet, letting my arm dangle outside of the blanket as I mentally prepared myself to deal with the long day of classes and work I had to deal with soon. After a few minutes of preparation, I finally managed to get up and slink to my bathroom to get ready for the day.

After my morning routine, I grabbed my bag, stuffing the necessities inside before walking to the door and slid on my shoes. I headed out the door making my way to the bus stop, taking a moment to glance around at the few people on the streets. Mouthbreathers, in my opinion, immersed in their phones, a few with a hybrid trailing dejectedly behind them. I frowned internally at the sight, my heart aching for the poor creatures. It's not their fault they were born with animal traits.

A few minutes later, I board the bus with the other few passengers. I immediately put on my earbuds and let myself drift off into my music. Leaning against the window, I let my thoughts flow. Upon arriving at school, I am greeted by the mob of half-asleep college kids struggling to stay awake on the way to their early morning classes. I make it to my psychology class and plopped down in my usual seat ready to get the day over with.

'Here we go,' I thought as the teacher walked in and began her lesson.

~5 hours later~

Drained beyond comprehension, I trudge into the neighborhood library after my two classes to begin my shift for the night.

I wave at the librarian, Mrs. Choi, and sit at the front desk. I log on to switch the profile and as I'm waiting for the screen to load up, I glance around to see my co-worker, Jihyun coming up to me.

"Good afternoon Y/N! How are you?" he asks with a wide smile on his face, his long black tail swishing behind him.

"Hey, Jihyun. I'm fine. Thank you. What has you so happy today?" I smile back, my energy magically restored thanks to his bright aura.

"It's the first day of Spring! I watched the sunrise this morning. It was so pretty from the balcony," he said as a small blush appeared on his cheeks.

"Is that the only reason you're so smiley?" I ask. My lips curled up into a smirk and I place my head on my hand.

The kitty blushed more and began to stutter slightly.

"W-well, I was c-cuddling with Minhyuk too..." he said, covering his face making me giggle at his cuteness.

"That's so sweet. I'm glad you had a wonderful beginning to your Spring," I smiled genuinely.

"Did you get to take any pictures of it this morning? I've seen your photos online. They're gorgeous," he smiled ruffling his silky brown hair.

"Thank you. I didn't actually. I was up late studying. It's a shame though, the city always looks so peaceful from my window," I sighed.

"Yeah. I remember your New Year's party. That sunrise was amazing. One of the best I've ever seen," he gushed, the memory putting a peaceful smile on his face.

"I do enjoy a good sunrise as well but would you two mind getting a move on? We're on the clock here," one of our older coworkers, Yeomgyu said walking toward us. His fluffy silver hair bounced as he walked past the desk. Both of us bowed in apology, giggling quietly to each other. Jihyun waved before walking away to finish reshelving.