Worried Child

Darkness surrounded you on every side. You couldn't move. Were you even breathing? Your body felt numb and hot, as if the summer sun had been beaming inside your veins. Your body felt heavy, but you weren't in pain. You felt safe, wherever you were.

You forced yourself to feel around you, let your senses take over, to find anything recognizable so maybe you could figure out where you were. The seconds ticked by, but you still couldn't hear or see anything. Hell, you couldn't even feel anything inside this darkness. Then, all at once, it hit you.

A single orange spark flashed in the distance crackling through the darkness. The light began to spread and branch out in all directions, like a crack in a window. The light got longer and broader, stretching around you. It wasn't until one branch began to get close to the floor that you started to feel a chill inch up your spine. You knew this chill. Too well. You had hoped it was behind you by now, but it seems fate had other plans.

You couldn't help but watch as it crawled down, but it seemed to slow down as it got closer to the ground. It was agonizing watching the light snake its way down to the surface until finally, they connected.

Then everything went white.

This time you found yourself in a dark room. The orange cracks were gone, but you still had no idea where you were. You wiggled your body parts experimentally, sighing in relief, discovering they work this time. You carefully felt around you, starting with the ground; carpet. Okay, not bad. You slowly reached out farther and felt more familiar things; shoes, clothes, basic things. Finally, you reached out in front of you, feeling carefully for a door. You found one, but it felt weird, like slats on a storage closet door. Were you in a closet? Why? Whose? You had so many unanswered questions, but panicking wasn't going to help.

With a deep breath, you pushed against it opening the slats just enough to see out. Shadows were covering different corners of the adjourning room. You could make out a bed, a dresser, posters on the walls, a few small bookcases, someone's bedroom. But whose?

You reached higher and found a doorknob.  Pulling it gently, you pushed the door open and crawled out. You hesitantly looked around and saw no one. You released the breath you were holding as you shakily stood up and gazed about the room. It seemed familiar, but you couldn't place it. You glanced around, and your eyes landed on the bedroom door. Your heart seemed to beat much louder in your ears, your feet barely dragging you to the door. You almost didn't want to leave. Something told you not to go, but you couldn't help it. The dim light that shone under the crack of the door was evidence that someone else was here, and you had to see who.

Though everything in you screamed to go back to the closet, you still saw yourself reaching for the handle of the door. The moment your skin made contact, orange sparks fluttered around your hand and the knob. It was almost a whisper of a touch, but inside it felt like every cell was on edge.

Another flash.

You were looking down a staircase that led to two places; the front door and a living room. You looked carefully between the two, but as you turned to look behind you, there was only darkness. Another chill went up to your spine, and soon you were down the stairs. Your chest felt heavier, too heavy. You stood in front of the door, ready to bolt and call it a day, but something else was pulling you away.

Slowly and unsteadily, you shuffled into the other room. It was your basic family room, but there was something about this room that made you want to run far, far away. Still, you walked closer and closer, your heart racing in your chest, your blood pumped loudly in your ears. Finally, you made it fully into the room and around the couch; that's when you saw it.