Oddball

Disclaimer: Any names (other than k-pop idols) are fake, and pictures are from google. Enjoy!!

Author POV

As the warm family enjoyed their homemade cookies, across town lives another family; this one, not so loving. 

With their source of happiness gone, grief had twisted their view of life, morphing them into ferocious and self-centered shadow versions of themselves

With their source of happiness gone, grief had twisted their view of life, morphing them into ferocious and self-centered shadow versions of themselves. The simplest things angered them, resulting in someone being severely beaten or destroyed. Daily, these borderline sadistic actions would be bestowed upon their grandmother's recycled (their words) hybrid. They would belittle him to his face, degrading him to the point of total submission. The once confident and loved hybrid had become a cowering mess. To make matters worse, the grandmother, the only one to care for him, had become very sick, not that she told anyone. They'd probably find a way to try to speed up her passing.

Ironically, she was the only one left with any form of basic decency. She often wondered where she went wrong with her descendants. They were all so cold-hearted and detached, nothing like the people she once knew. That all ended the day her daughter died. Her family's disregard for basic human decency was the reason she decided to do something that would either straighten them out or humble the fuck out of them. Either way, they were going to pay, and her best friend karma was a bitch.

She should've left sooner, but that would've resulted in her only companion and her family's company getting passed down to her heartless son-in-law. He'd been agreeable, even charming initially, but he began to shut out anything that wasn't work-related after the attack. His heart became so engulfed in anger and bloodlust that he had practically abandoned his sons. At the time, they had been in the care of their grandmother. However, with the loss of their mother and their father, now a workaholic, they saw no need for emotions. With their hearts corrupted, they had no strength to fight the darkness that eventually lured them into its loveless abyss.

That had been almost two decades ago, and the years were not kind. The last five years had been the roughest. The grandmother's illness had worsened, and her secret medication had been keeping her immobile more often. The more she slept, the more pain inflicted on her poor companion. He knew something was wrong, but anytime he tried to tell his master's family, he'd get yelled at or hit. They were so twisted that they would think the boy was disrespectful at the slightest movement.

He never complained, though, which baffled the woman. She saw his bruises, his hidden, pained expressions, but not once did he complain about anything. She had even asked him about them several times, but he denied the pain. She had noticed the change in him, too. No longer was he smiley and kind, but instead shy and submissive. He had always been curious, but now he rarely did anything that he wasn't instructed to do. The only time he was himself was when he read. Whether he was reading to her or for his enjoyment, she could always see a hint of amusement and a dash of mischief in his eyes. It was a shame that sparkle disappeared the moment her family came around.