Thirteen

"Huh?" I asked

"Huh?" I asked. I couldn't have heard him right the first time. He didn't say what I think he said. He couldn't have said that. I must have been hearing shit. I just had to be. 

"You," he repeated slowly. He looked down at his lap before reaching into his pajama pocket and pulling out a small rectangle box. "I uh, was going to give this to you tomorrow. For Christmas. And also as an apology gift." I watched as he stared at the box for a second before looked at me.

"I apologize for being an asshole. I never was doing it to hurt you, at all," he mumbled looking into my eyes. "I never wanted to make you cry. That's literally the last thing I want to do."

"It's fine. I got over it." I said waving him off. At this point in time, even though he made me cry a million times (very much over exaggerating), I learned to move on. He apologized at the table that night. Yeah, it was sort of half ass but I don't hold grudges for long, especially after they apologized. 

"It's not fine, Harmoni. I made you cry and that wasn't right of me." I sighed while staring at him. I could see that he was going through an internal battle with himself. "Here," he said holding out the box. I looked up at him, glancing at the box for a second then shaking my head.

"I can't take that. I know how much Zales things cost."

"Take the box, Harmoni. It's just a Christmas gift." 

"That costs an arm and a leg."

"Harmoni," he warned.

"Anders," I repeated in the same tone he just used on me. I watched as his eyes darkened slightly before he shifted in his seat.

"Knulla," he muttered moving around a little bit more and then put his left leg over his right knee. "Take the gift."

"I don't want you to spend a lot of money on me."

"Oh, it's not about what you want me to spend my money on. If I want to spend a couple hundred on you, so be it. I bought this for you so stop being rude and open it."

"When you say you spend a couple hundred, you mean?" he stared at me not saying anything and then pushed the box out to me again. I sighed, putting my feet back on the floor and taking the box from him then swallowed hard.

I slowly opened the box and stared at the rose gold necklace in awe. The chain was rose gold and so was the heart pendant. I stared at the pendant in awe. It was covered in diamonds and was honestly the prettiest necklace I had ever laid eyes on.

"This is so pretty." I cooed. I heard Anders grunt before shifting in his seat. "I love rose gold," I admitted with a huge smile on my face. The necklace was so pretty, honestly, I was in awe at how beautiful it was.

"Inte lika vacker som dig." he muttered. I looked up at him with a confused grin.

"What language is that?" I asked curiously. "And your whole family speaks it. I hope y'all not talking about me." I said with a raised eyebrow.

"It's all good things. I promise," he said quickly before nodding. "And we're Swedish, Harmoni. We eat Swedish dishes and we have a Swedish last name so we speak Swedish." I laughed as I remembered their dishes and everything.

"That makes a lot of sense," I mumbled as he chuckled as well. He smiled before yawning and looking back out to the beach.

"You're not tired?" he asked. I shook my head.

"I'm full of energy actually. I think it was that coffee that I drank when I went I walked with Stacey to walk your dog, Freud? Was that his name?" I said the dog's name in question. Anders laughed and nodded.

"Freud, I love that dog."

"I'm assuming you named him?" I questioned looking up at him. He looked over at me with a smirk.

"What makes you say that?"

"You're the only one who seems somewhat interested in psychologists as you are a psychology professor." I reminded him. He laughed before nodding again.

"I did name him. My second year into college." I raised my eyebrow.

"Second year? How old is Freud?"

"The dog or the psychologist? The psychologist is dead, skön. Our dog, Freud is ten." I blinked before doing the math in my head.

"That means your like, what, twenty-nine," I mumbled after doing the math. I'm not even going to lie, I guessed. I assumed people were nineteen when they were a sophomore in college. I don't know. He nodded, sipping on the drink he brought out with him.

"Yup, turning thirty May fifth," he said as if he was waiting for me to say something. But I didn't have anything to say. Or did I? He's almost thirty? Wow. "What, you thought I was older?" he asked as he continued to stare at the expression on my face. I nodded.

"You act like you're forty but you definitely look your age." I complimented with a shrug.

"Thank you," he said with a deep chuckle looking back out at the ocean.  "Would you like me better if I was forty?" he asked. I furrowed my eyebrows as I stared at him.

"Huh?" He looked over at me and shook his head.

"Nothing. Just thinking," he muttered with a smile. We continued to stare at each other before he cleared his throat and looked back out at the ocean. "Merry Christmas, Harmoni."

"I didn't buy you anything," I mumbled out. He shook his head looking back at me.

"You didn't have to buy me anything. Att vara här med dig är den bästa gåvan jag någonsin kunde begära." he muttered out before standing, pressing a chaste kiss to the top of my head and headed to the door.

"Get some rest soon, Harmoni. Tomorrow is going to be a long day." I listened as he walked inside the house and waited until I could no longer hear his footsteps before I turned and looked into the house.

My eyes met his as he took a gulp of whatever was in his cup. He winked before sitting the cup in the sink and then disappearing around the corner. I turned back to face the beach and smiled. I think I'm starting to like this vacation.