Nineteen

I was on the phone with Chance when I heard a knock on the door

I was on the phone with Chance when I heard a knock on the door. I looked up, seeing Anders standing there with a nervous expression on his face. Biting my lip, I told Chance I would call him back. After we bid each other bye, I sat my phone on the bed and turned to Anders. He sighed.

"You coming in?" I asked. I watched as he visibly gulped before walking into the room and closing the door after him. He leaned on the door once it was closed and stared at me. Neither of us said anything for a good ten minutes. I wasn't sure what to say. I mean, he was the one who made the move on me, not the other way around. Not saying I didn't enjoy it or anything, I'm just a little shocked, is all.

"Who was that?" he suddenly asked. I raised my eyebrow. "On the phone." he reiterated. I opened my mouth in realization. "Was that, that boy? What was his name? Chris? Christian?" he knew his name. He said it last night.

"Chance." I corrected with a nod. "He wanted to check up in with me. I haven't spoken to him since I been here." I said with a stiff nod.

"Well, he doesn't need to check up on you. I'm here to protect you and your father is here," he said with a slight attitude. I almost thought he was jealous of him, but what exactly could he be jealous of? I told him we were just friends last night, right before he kissed me. Which reminded me why he was in here.

"Can we not talk about who I was on the phone with and why and get to the reason why you..." I sighed, not wanting to finish the question. He ran a hand over his face before shaking his head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know why I did that. You are technically my niece and I took advantage of you and kissed you. I didn't mean that." he mumbled. I raised an eyebrow surprised, not really expecting him to say that but I mean, I don't know what I was expecting. "You were just there staring at me with your big beautiful eyes that showed your innocence and you asked that question and I took advantage of you. I apologize, Harmoni. Please forgive me." I swallowed back the lump in my throat before nodding.

"Thank you for the apology, Anders. I appreciate it." I said with a sad smile. I tried my hardest to stay strong, not really knowing why I was feeling like him apologizing for kissing me was the end of the world. I never wanted him to kiss me until after it happened. And now that it happened, I just want his lips on mine again. But I screwed that up. or maybe it wasn't my fault, just bad timing and our situation is fucked.

"Anytime," he said with a stiff nod, a sad smile on his face as well. He turned away quickly, grabbing the doorknob and then mumbled out that breakfast was ready then left the room without turning back. I bit my lip to stop it from trembling and just nodded to myself.

***

I didn't come down for breakfast as I wasn't hungry. My father came up afterward, telling me that my surgery was scheduled for Friday, it's now Tuesday so I had a couple of days to mentally prepare myself for the surgery. Since Anders and I weren't talking, I had to struggle down the steps myself later that day, in search of some food. I didn't hear anyone else in the house and I didn't care. I would rather be alone right now.

When I got to the refrigerator, I opened it and pulled out stuff for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when I heard glass breaking. I froze, hoping it wasn't what I thought it was. I waited to see if I heard something else and when I did, I dropped down to the ground, covering myself and hoped that whoever was breaking into the house, would leave me alone. I mean, I'm just a crippled girl right now. What could they want from me?

I heard a thud of something being thrown and then another thud as something else hit the floor. "Ed, you asshole. Stop breaking stuff before we can leave out with it." I heard a feminine voice say. I shivered, scared for my life and for everything in the house. I didn't even hear Freud barking. Where the hell was he? I thought to myself as the people who were breaking in, finally got into the house.

"You get upstairs while I do down here." a male's voice said, which made me assume it was Ed. I covered my mouth as I started to cry, not wanting them to find me but I was in the middle of the kitchen, he was going to find me. I kept my mouth closed the best I could and just prayed to every God there was and hoped he would get me through this alive. I had so much I wanted to do in my life and I didn't want to die just yet. I wanted to have kids, get married, lose my virginity. Everything. I didn't want to die a virgin. But I think I was going to.

I heard his footsteps coming closer to where I was and heard things before turned over and doors and drawers being opened and slammed closed. I felt a sob rack through my body as he got closer and closer. But just as he got closer, I heard a familiar bark getting louder as it was getting closer to the house.

"Shit, Rachael. Let's go!" I heard Ed shout before knocking something off the counter and it landed on my broken leg. I let out a shriek alerting Ed and Rachael and whoever was running towards the house with Freud because I heard several people shout, 'Shit!' at the same time.

"Harmoni!" I heard Anders shout as he got closer to the house. Freud's barking got louder, letting me know they were close.

"There's someone here," Ed shouted before running around the island finding me sitting on the floor, clutching my leg in pain. "Would you look here? A beautiful little girl. She looks like she could be worth a lot." he spoke reaching out for me. I screamed again before pushing the man away from me and screaming out for Anders.

Ed cursed before running away, leaving me on the floor shaken up and I heard Rachael from upstairs running out as well. Freud's barking seemed like it was right outside the door now and I was right I heard the patio door slide open and then Anders and Freud both growled.

"Harmoni!" Anders shouted. I let out a loud sob, alerting him as to where I was or maybe it was the fact that Freud trotted over to me, sniffing on me and licking me. I guess in a way to cheer me up. Anders walked around the island and cursed when he saw me. "Baby," he whispered before pulling me into his arms. I cried out harder once he was holding me and he rocked me while whispering things in Swedish.

"I-." I hiccuped as I continued to cry. Anders shushed me again but I wasn't having it. "I need to go to the hospital." I croaked out. Anders stiffened before looking at me.