Twenty-One

Y'all gone hate me for this chapter and what happens!! I see it!

Our time in Florida was coming to an end soon. It was now New Year's Eve and I was getting dressed in my best dress, as Karin had told me that they were having guests over to bring in the New Year and would love for me to dress up. Even though my entire ensemble would be thrown off by the walking boot that I got a couple of days after my surgery. They said it would be fine for me to walk on it with the boot on, so they switched out the traditional cast for that big ass boat on my leg that I have to keep on at all times.

How great is that?

I was staring at myself in the mirror when I heard a knock on the door. I looked over, seeing Stacey staring at me with a huge smile. "You look beautiful, darling," she spoke with a huge grin on her face. I glanced back in the mirror to stare at my dress again.

Karin and Margareta bought me the dress while they were out yesterday. I like it, I'll admit it. It was a black off the shoulder midi dress. It had short sleeves and hugged my hips and thighs as it was a mermaid dress. I ran my hands over my hips again before sighing.

"Do I really look good?" I asked turning back and looking at Stacey. She nodded.

"Jag vet redan att vissa människor inte kommer att kunna hålla sina händer åt sig själv." She spoke in Swedish making me groan.

"Why does everyone talk in Swedish? What are you talking about me?"

"I am, but it's nothing bad. I promise." I rolled my eyes and nodded, not believing her one bit. "Are you ready?" she asked as I heard the music starting downstairs. I nodded before grabbing my phone and following her out of my room, closing the door after me.

Once I made it downstairs, I saw people I didn't recognize and realized they were friends and maybe more family of the Bergland's. I greeted some of them politely before making my way into the dining room where I grabbed a plate of food and then sat down and ate.

I had popped one of my pigs in a blanket in my mouth when I saw someone sit next to me and I didn't realize who it was until I turned to look at who it was and saw Bill. He smiled politely before turning his attention to his plate filled to the brim with food. Talk about someone going overboard.

"Did you try the Swedish meatballs?" he asked. I pursed my lips together before looking at my plate. I had two of them sitting to the side, but I hadn't touched them yet. I like to work my way around my plate clockwise, like a weirdo.

I start right in the front, which I filled with some pigs in a blanket that I was one hundred percent sure that my father made, next to that, two small deli sandwiches that were the size of an average size cookie. Beside them, small chips and dip and last but not least, the meatballs.

"No, not yet," I muttered with a small smile.

"Try it. I promise it's good." I looked over at him with a nod.

"I bet, but I'll try it soon enough. I'd like to pace myself." Bill nodded before turning his attention to his plate. I picked up another pig in the blanket and popped it in my mouth when Bill turned to me again.

"I'm sorry, that we got off on the wrong foot," he said suddenly. I furrowed my eyebrows and fully turned to look at him.

"I'm sorry?"

"On Christmas. I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. That was never my purpose. I just... I don't know. I was nervous." I bit my lip lightly before tilting my head to the side.

"Why were you nervous?" I questioned confused. He opened his mouth to say something before stopping himself and shook his head.

"I'm a dork and you are beautiful. A beautiful woman came to my family's Christmas, I mean, who wouldn't be nervous," he muttered with a shy look on his face. I raised my eyebrow. I let out a slight chuckle and shook my head.

"I'm not," I shook my head again. "I'm no one special," I whispered. Bill shook his head.

"That's where you're wrong. I may have not known you for long, but being around you already, I know you are so special and a beautiful inside and out. When I was acting an ass at Christmas, you didn't deserve it and I apologize for touching your breast. I don't know where that came from and I-."

"Ok, ok. Thank you." I interrupted his rambling and smiled. "You were touching my necklace. It's not right but it's okay. Thank you for the apology." I said with a small chuckle. Bill let out a breath and looked down at his plate as the song that was playing change.

"Would you, like to dance?" he asked. I raised an eyebrow, staring at him. He looked down at my boot and shook his head. "I mean if your leg is fine enough to do that," he suggested. "If not, it's fine."

"My leg is fine, but I'm eating," I said with a giggle. He shrugged.

"After you finish eating," he said with a huge smile. I shrugged, turning my attention to eat my food. We kept up a small conversation, joking every once in a while. As we continued to talk, I got that odd feeling that someone was looking at me so I looked away from Bill for a second to see Anders standing in the kitchen, talking to a dark-haired woman, but his attention was on me. I swallowed looking back down to my plate.

When I was finished eating, I threw my plate away before following him outside where there were people dancing. I raised my eyebrow as Bill wrapped his hands around my waist as a slow song started.

"Come on, dance with me," he whispered. I smiled before putting my hands on his shoulders loosely and leaned into him, swaying along with him to the song.

"You aren't a bad dancer." I pointed out. Bill laughed and shook his head.

"You thought I was going to be bad?" he asked. I nodded without hesitation. He threw his back and laughed harder, making me laugh as well. We talked some more as we danced, not caring how bad we danced or how loud we were when we laughed. I could feel Anders gaze on us the entire time we were out on the dance floor but I didn't think much about it.

About ten minutes into our dancing, Bill said he would go get us a drink and told me to sit down and rest. I happily obliged and made my way over to the chairs that were outside and took a breather. Bill walked into the house leaving me outside to watched as the other people danced and talked among themselves.

Bill came back out to me shortly after he disappeared into the house, holding two cups in his hands. He handed me one while sitting down beside me. I thanked him quietly before taking sip of my drink and looked out to the beach.

"It's almost midnight." Bill announced. I looked over at him, seeing him looking down at the watch on his wrist. "We got a minute." I raised my eyebrow.

"Really?" I asked standing up just as my father walked out onto the back porch, telling us that they were going to start the count down. Bill walked up behind me, putting his hand on the small of my back and walked in behind me.

"Fifteen," the count started as soon as we walked into the door. I looked back at Bill who smiled. "Fourteen,"

"Do you have a New Year's resolution?" Bill asked as they were now on number ten of their count down. I shook my head.

"How about you?" He nodded. Eight.

"Shooting my shot more often." He admitted, staring into my eyes. I raised my eyebrows.

"Hmm?"

"Two," He whispered, slowly getting closer to me and I didn't move away, awaiting his action. "One. Happy New Year!" He said before kissing me gingerly.