Rings and Horses

As Shoto waited he began to rethink all his life decisions, which was something he often did when he was alone.

All his life Shoto had never felt the way he did with Midoriya. The way Midoriya's eyes were so full of excitement and joy made him blush just thinking about it. There was some part of himself that Shoto had yet to figure out, a mystery yet to be solved. He had some hunches, yes, but none that were legal. He didn't want any of them to be true anyway.

He shook his head, not wanting to linger on the topic. His mind, instead, turned to his fiance. God, he hated her. She was definitely cheating and could Shoto really blame her? He knew their loathing was mutual.

Just as Shoto was beginning to get impatient with the wait, Midoriya stumbled out of the back room with a small cloth bag in hand.

"Sorry I took so long! Turns out the herbs were in all the wrong bins," he announced with a cheerful grin. They shared a laugh as Midoriya handed Shoto the bag. Their hands brushed together, but the shop keeper immediately recoiled. Shoto looked down wondering what was wrong and stopped the culprit.

His ring.

He looked at him an explanation in his eyes, on the tip of his tongue, but Midoriya cut him off. His voice was wobbly and unsure, his face an embarrased shade of pink, "Oh. You're married. Whoever she is is a lucky lady, sir."

"No! not married," Shoto tried to say, "Just engaged. And I really don-" he interrupted him again. 

"Really, it's ok. You have a nice day ok sir?" the fake smile returned, filling Shoto with barely concealed contempt for his fiance. Midoriya was attempting to push him out the door and Shoto finally gave in.

"Thank you," the prince's eyes were sad as he left the shop. He trudged regretfully back to his horse who was now grumbling impatiently.

Shoto walked up to the animal and leaned his head on her neck, finding comfort in her scent of hay. Small tears stung his eyes, threatening to fall. Of course they didn't because he never showed any emotion, but still.

The prince took in a deep, shuddering breath and released it, finally gaining the courage to mount his horse and ride away from the confusion that the little town brought him. He hopped up onto the saddle and started on his journey back home. 

It would be about dinner time when he returned, so much for a relaxing free day.

shitty ending, ik. and to think, deku can still be a lil bean after all that