Chapter 40

Ace had brought us back to his house for the night. He promised to drive me to the hospital to see Vince.

Nothing had changed in his condition. He was still asleep in that awful bed. I just can't do it with hospitals. It's a place of both happiness and sadness. Children are born and the old die. The sick get better and the health get worse.

Ace and I get ready for bed by changing our clothes to pjs. Once in bed, Ace pulls me closer so he can wrap his arms around my body.

"Our day certainly turned around." He chuckles.

"Turned around for the worst."

"At lease it ended happy." He picks up my left hand and looks at the ring.

"You are such a romantic."

"You love me for it."

"That I do."

"I forgot, my mother wants to have dinner."

"Dinner with your sane family? I would love too."

"I have to warn you that she will ask you anything and everything. Nick will be Nick. And you know Axel..."

"Nothing I can't handle."

"My father...is unpredictable."

"Is he like mine?"

"Of a sorts."

"I just hope he's more reasonable."

"Yes well...until tomorrow." He kisses the top of my head before snuggling into my neck.

"Goodnight, my love."

*  *  *

         Ace and I slept through the night and half the day. Much to say that we were exhausted. The ordeal of Vince in the hospital was already weighing on me. How can I go on without my other half? My twin; my blood.

        Even after we woke up, Ace played with my hair in silence. I realize we do that a lot now. I don't know why, but it was who we are.

"We have to get up Angel."

"I don't want too."

"I have to shower."

"You are right there. You stink." I push myself off of him while holding my nose.

"And I thought I was bing nice when I didn't comment on your drooling."

"I don't drool!" I lift myself off the bed and to the bathroom. I grab my toothbrush and start to scrub. Ace walking in and starting to strip.

"Ace?"

"Yes?"

"I'm kinda using the bathroom."

"Don't be shy, love." He moves up behind me; hugging me and placing his chin on my shoulder.

"We've seen each other naked before."

"It's still embarrassing." A nice shade of red appearing on my face.

"I love how I can still make you blush."

"You're an idiot." I spit out before leaving the bathroom.

        Safe to say that I didn't want to leave the bed because I was beyond nervous about meeting Ace's parents. I know, I know, I have met them before; but not as Ace's girlfriend.