getaway.

Looking at dogs was a complete failure.

Mostly because any dog I liked, Bryant didn't, and any dog he liked, I didn't. The problem is, he truly thinks we're getting a dog together when in reality this will be my dog and not for us to share.

Due to him not being aware of this, he had a lot to say about every dog we walked past. I had to bite my tongue just to refrain from yelling at him considering how frustrating it was.

Especially because there was one dog in particular that I really liked but of course he didn't. He was a tiny boy with dark and tan fur. I could tell right away that he wanted attention. More importantly, he wanted someone to take him.

Bryant shook his head immediately and said that the dog was too small and that we needed to get a big dog. I didn't fight it in the moment because I didn't care to. However, I did promise that next time I'd return, it'd be with Calum.

Speaking of my friend, I almost feel bad for not telling him I'd be making it to the coffee shop this morning. I know Calum doesn't like to wake up early on weekends so I figured I was doing him a favor by not letting him know.

Except, I know I will face his wrath regardless.

Stepping into the shop, I listen as the bell rings and see it is completely empty. On most days, it is pretty empty so I guess I'm not entirely shocked that it's empty on a weekend.

I spot my book sitting on the bookshelf so I walk up to it, determined to actually get some reading done today.

Placing it down at my usual table, I walk up to the counter and wait for someone to come up to me.

Just as I look over my shoulder to eye the cafe once again, I hear the barista ask, "No shirtless friend today?"

I look back to her to see her with a raised eyebrow as I laugh slightly, not knowing if she's joking or being dead serious.

"He doesn't wake up early on weekends," I say tucking a strand of my blonde curly hair behind my ear.

"Well he should learn to keep his shirt on," she says already beginning to prepare my order she seems to know by now.

"Yeah, he really should," I say mostly to myself considering she's not wrong. Calum does keep his shirt off a large majority of the time. However, it doesn't phase or effect me in the slightest. "He just gets back from working out before coming here."

"He's lucky he hasn't been banned yet," she says as she passes me over my coffee.

I smile at the warm contents that sit in front of me as I shoot her a thankful smile.

"I'll make sure to send on the message," I say still having genuinely no idea where she's going with this conversation. Isn't she trying to be playful about it or she actually really pissed?

I hand her my money for my coffee before telling her to keep the change. She tells me to have a good day so I say the same before walking back to my table.

I place my hot coffee on the table before picking up the book. I've barely gotten into it at all and I feel like today's finally my day I can sit, relax, and read it. This is the first time since being in here I haven't had a single distraction and I can't wait.

I turn my phone's volume off and slide it in my purse in order to ignore any noises that may come from it. I bring my legs up and fold them under me as I grasp the book in my hands.

However, just as I manage to flick the page, I hear the door open. I look up and bite back a smile at the sight of Professor Hemmings. Instead of his usual teacher attire, he wears a black, collared polo, and khakis. His hair is pulled back into a bun as always and he wears his glasses on the bridge of his nose.