Chapter 39: Forbidden First Gift

I was almost done unboxing my stuff when the phone rang.

The first call on my very own telephone...

"Hello?" I ask hesitantly, picking up the receiver.

"Hi." A manly voice replied immediately.

"Who's this?"

"Am I speaking to Miss Sarah?" the person asked.

"Who are you?" Suspicion arising in my voice

"I thought you knew me."

"I don't like to play guessing games," I said sternly and heard a dark chuckle on the other end.

"Really? I thought you'd guess me right away Sarah..." I looked at the receiver, trying to search my brain for any person who this could possibly be. "After all we spent childhood together until everything changed between us...."

My breath hitched.

My eyes went wide.

I nearly dropped the receiver at the admission.

I couldn't hear anything except the silence on the other line. The silence felt like cold water over my skin. A shiver runs down my spine and it made me numb, I wasn't able to utter a single word, it was like someone shut my mouth with a tape but inside I was screaming, somehow struggling with myself to speak something.

The voice chuckled again.

The laugh grew harder.

I blinked my eyes which felt like blinking after a whole year.

He continued to laugh and I was numb.

I tried to make out words.

"D-da-"

"I got you, Sarah! I totally got you! Oh lord! I can't stop laughing." The voice said between laughs.

"W-What?" I stutter as confusion blurred my thoughts.

"It's me, Sarah! It's Samuel! I can't believe you didn't recognize my voice." He continues to laugh.

I let out a breath.

I put a hand on my heart, my heart rate getting normal.

"Say it! I got you, didn't I?" His laughter fading slowly and I clear my throat before I lean to hold the receiver closer to my ear and mouth

"State your business or I'm hanging up." I hiss at him.

"Hey! hey! Okay, I just wanted to tell you that I'm coming over all right?"

"Okay."

"And uh...."

"Yeah?"

"Did you doll up for me?" I can see his smug smile even through the phone.

So I hung up on him...

An hour later the bell of the apartment rang while I was settling plates in the kitchen cabinets. I rushed out of the kitchen and went to the front door. Before opening the door I peeked through the peephole and made sure it was Samuel.

As I opened the door I found him very neat as usual, dressed in coat and pants while holding a bottle with a bow on its neck and a gift box in the other hand. I moved aside for him to come in. I eye the things in his hands while he comes in.

He looks around the apartment when he enters "Wow. You've done mostly everything on your own." He says, looking at me and I shrug.

"Didn't have much to do anyway,"