Chapter Sixteen- Crash

[Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson]

Julie's POV

That did not work well." I say as Carlos drags me into my apartment with my hands behind my back like he's a cop and I'm a criminal.

  "No, no it did not." He mutters as I get pushed into my room. "What the fuck were you thinking? You could've gotten arrested!" He pushes me onto my bed.

  "I don't know, I just wanted to do something fun." I say.

  "That was not how to have fun Julie. If it weren't for me the cops would have you right now!"

  "Yeah, thank you."

  "Save it." He growls.

  "I'm sorry Carlos, I don't know what got into me. I just... I just needed to do something exciting for once. I've never done anything like that before."

  "And how was it?" He crosses his arms.

  "Scary." I say.

  "Mmhmm. And that, Julie, is why you don't run off and do that."

  "Ok, I've learned my lesson." I nod as I cover up.

"Now get some rest." He fixes my pillow so it's comfier. "Goodnight crazy." He ruffles my hair before turning my light off and walking out.

***

"Banged up, here we go, everybody rock and roll!" Carlos and I sing along with a song he introduced to me as we drive home from school. "Banged up, lose control, everybody bang! Banged up, me and you, red and white, blue and bruised! Banged up, self abuse, everybody bang!" We both laugh as we look at each other. "American made, we all get paid. Everybody ho, everybody-" My seatbelt locks as I the car jerks forward.

I look at Carlos to see he's looking around just as confused as I am.

"What was that?" I ask.

"I have no idea." He turns the music down. The car jerks forward again and I let out a short scream. I look in the side view mirror and see a teal Camaro right behind us. Literally right behind us. Like almost riding on this car.

"Who's that?" I ask and Carlos looks in the rear view mirror and his eyes widen. He looks back at the road as he presses hard on the gas pedal. "What's going on? Who are they?" I ask.

"Just an old friend of mine." He says not looking away from the road.

"Well why are they so close to us?"

"Maybe they want to play tag." He shrugs with a roll of his eyes. "Tighten your seatbelt." He says so I do, right before he makes a sharp right turn into traffic. He speeds through it, merely hitting other cars.

"Carlos!" I shout. "Will you slow down?" I panic.

"Calm down honey, I know what I'm doing." He smirks, but it's not a happy smirk, it's a deadly smirk that holds venom.

"I want to go home." I whine.

"We'll get home, but first I have to lose this dick who thinks he can follow us."

"Why are they following us?" I ask.

"Maybe they want to race." His smirk grows, making me get butterflies in my stomach, and not the good kind.

"Julie," I look at Carlos. "Can you open the glove box?" I nod and open it, revealing guns and knives and, is that a hand grenade?

"What the duck Carlos?! Why in the world do you have these!" I look at him.

"Julie, I'm in a gang, why else would I have those?" He rolls his eyes at me. "Now give me one of those guns, will you?"

"Absolutely not!" I yell and his smirk drops and he glares over at me.

"Why not!"

"Because I'm not going to be involved in the scene of a murder!"

"Julie, these people are after you. Now if you want to live, give me a goddamn gun!" He yells. I grab one as my eyes well up and I hand it to him. "Thank you, was it that hard?" He asks and I start biting my nails. "You're going to be fine, ok? Trust me, I won't let anything happen to you." He says, his caring and calm voice back. I nod as I take a deep breath.

"Alright now can you shoot that guy in the car behind us?" I shoot my head to him and stare at him like he's out of his mind. Well he is.

"No!" I yell.

"Calm down, I was just kidding." He chuckles. "That would break you, and we don't need you being like me." He says more to himself than me.

The teal car speeds past us and Carlos puts the gun in his lap so he can grip the steering wheel and drive better. He speeds up and I put my feet on the dash board to keep myself in the seat.

"Come on Carlos, can you just drop it? You don't need to race this guy." I beg.

"Julie, we're not just racing." He says. "We're winning." He smiles at me as we pass the car. This is stupid!

"Carlos!" I shout as we drive straight, and straight ahead is a lake!

"What?" He asks.

"There's a freaking lake there! Stop driving!"

"But that's the finish line."

"You're going to drive us straight into a lake you dummy!"

"No I'm not." He says. Right before the car hits the grass we make a sharp left turn, and in front of us is a brick wall. I prefer the lake now.

"Carlos the wall!" I scream as we crash into it.

I see and hear glass shatter everywhere and feel a thousand needles in my arms before all I see is black.

"Owww." I hear someone wince from far away. "See Julie, we're fine. My cars not but we are." I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Julie?" They ask. "Julie? Wake up. Julie! Please Julie wake up!"

I try opening my eyes but I can't, I just continue sinking into a never ending darkness.

"Don't worry Julie I'm calling an ambulance. Ah fuck! I'm such a dumbass! Should've gone for the lake!"