Chapter Twenty-Four

"Why are we going back to my house?" She asks.

"Because..." Because last night I had a dream about the other gang breaking into my house and stealing you. "I just thought you'd want to see your cat again." I say.

  I smile as I watch Julie jump out of the car and run into the building. Someone's excited to be home.

  I walk after her, taking my time. And once I finally get up there she's standing at the door.

  "Well go in already." I say.

"I don't have the key." I reach into my pocket and take out the key and ga d it to her. She smiles and goes to unlock it.

  I smile as I wait behind her as she excitedly opens the door. She swings the door open and runs in, I wait to go in until she turns the light on so I can see.

  I jump when she screams at the top of her lungs. I run in there and freeze when I see the disastrous living room. The tv screen is cracked, the coffee tables flipped on its side, the couch is torn up, and there's shredded paper from books all over the floor.

  "Wow, your cats really string." I say and she glares at me.

  "Shut up Carlos! This isn't a time for joking!" She pushes me with her one hand that's in in a sling. "Someone broke in!" She shrieks.

  "Are you sure there wasn't a tornado?" She knees me in the stomach and I grunt as I hunch over. Maybe I shouldn't have taught her how to fight.

  "Ok, I'm sorry." I sigh.

  "Where's Misty?" She panics. "What if whoever broke in took my Misty kitty? Oh, what if they hurt her? Carlos! What are we going to do!"

  "Shh, calm down." I say. "Misty." I say snapping my fingers. "Here kitty kitty."

  Julie falls to her knees and curls up in a little ball as she starts to cry.

  "Julie, calm down. We can get you another cat." I say. She stops and slowly glares up at me.

  "You idiot! I've had that cat since I was thirteen! We've been through almost everything together! So don't fucking think about getting me another cat!" She yells, and I actually flinch. Oh my god, she sworn. She never swears! She must be really upset right now.

  "Ok, I'm sorry. Misty's probably here somewhere, just hiding." I say softly.

  "Your friends were supposed to be taking care of her! You said that!"

  "I know, and they were."

  "So where is she then?"

  "I don't know Julie."

  I walk into the kitchen and gasp. Jesus. It looks like a mini tornado swept through here.

  "Meow." I hear and raise a brow. "Meeeeeeowwwwww." I hear again, but louder and more whiny. "Meeeowww!" This time it's followed by nails scratching on wood.

  I walk over to the cabinets above the oven and look at it. Why is there a zip tie on the handles? I rip it off and open them, suddenly a Harry white and gray face pops out.

  "Meow." She says and I smile as I relax. She jumps into my arms and I hold her to my chest.

  "Julie's gonna be happy to see you." I say, scratching her soft chin.

  I walk back out to the living room but Julie's not there. Where'd she go? I walk into her bedroom and that's an even more mess than the living room and kitchen, probably because clothes are scattered everywhere.

  She's sitting on her knees on the floor, trying to pick everything up while sobbing.

  "Julie." I say softly.

  "Look what they did Carlos! They ruined everything! All of my stuff is ruined and broken. And all my school stuff is ruined too. And look, all my clean clothes are dirty now." She struggles to hold everything.

  "Julie-"

  "What's my landlord gonna do? Once he sees this mess that I'll never be able to clean he's gonna throw me out into the streets." She whimpers. "And misty. She's gone! They probably hurt her! She's just an innocent little kitten! She didn't do anything!"

  "Julie." I say harshly and she stops. "Look at me." She slowly looks up at me and her eyes stop on the giant hairball in my arms.

  "Misty!" She screams in joy as she runs over to me and grabs her from my arms. "You're okay?" She squeezes the poor thing.

  "Meow." Misty replies before purring and kneading her chest.

  Julie looks at me. "Where did you find her?" She asks.

  "I'm the kitchen cabinet."

  "What was she doing I'm there?"

  "I don't know, but she was trapped."

  "Is the kitchen a mess too?" I nod. She starts crying again so I walk over to her and embrace her, with Misty in between us.

  "It's going to be okay Julie." I say as I rub her back.

  We both lift our heads immediately when we hear loud, fast footsteps.

  "What was that a?" Julie asks. "It's coming from in the living room." She adds.

  I grab her wrist and pull her behind me as I take my gun out of my belt and point it outside the door.

  The footsteps stop suddenly and there's silence.

  "Carlos?" Julie asks me shakily.

  "Shh!" I don't take my eyes away from the wide open door.

  A man in all black, even a black mask, steps in front of the doorway with a rifle pointed at us. Julie screams and I push her back as I take three steps back.

  "Put your gun down." The man growls in a voice so deep I can't recognize it.

  I drop my gun to the floor. I feel Julie hug my torso tightly from behind, reminding me that her safety comes first. I grab her left hand with my left hand and squeeze it as I stare at the man intensely.

  "Who are you?" I finally manage to get out. He takes a step in and I take a step back. I feel Julie tremble against me so I squeeze her hand harder, trying to calm her.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"The girl."

"Sorry, she's not for sale." I say.

Julie let's go of me as I dove for my gun. I point it at the man but he's already got it aimed, and then the bullet flies out, sending her to scream and fall to the floor.

"No!" I shout as I start to run over to her, but I stop and look at the man. "You jackass!" I yell and pull the trigger of my gun and shoot him.