Chapter Fourty-Seven

"Sadie, Sadie, Sadie, Sadie-"

  "Shut the fuck up!" I close my mouth and stand there, thinking of what I should do.

  "Look, Sadie, I didn't mean to make you fall into the lake. I didn't even realize it was there. But you're the one who brought us there, so it's technically your fault." I pause. "Ok, no. It was entirely my fault. But still. And I'm sorry for getting mad. It's just, I thought you died two years ago. And you suddenly reappear, alive, and you say you're leaving again. How do you think that makes me feel, Sadie?" I ask, laying my forehead on the door.

  "I still can't believe you're actually here. And I don't want to loose you again. I need you, Sadie. I need you because I love you, and I can't loose someone I love. Please stay."

  I fall forward when the door moves but hands catch me and push me back up on my feet.

  I look up at Sadie, who has tears dripping down her face.

  "Carlos." She sniffles. "I want to stay, I really do. But I just... I can't. It's too dangerous."

  "How?" I ask.

  "Because everyone thinks I'm dead still."

  "So?"

  "If they see me they'll know I'm alive. And the other gang could find out and go after me, again. And you could get hurt."

  "So? I don't care if I get hurt." I shake my head.

  "Well I do, Carlos."

   "But I already got hurt. When I thought you died. And I'll get hurt again if you leave me." I say stubbornly, crossing my arms.

  "Carlos." She sighs. "Carlos." She says again. "Carlos." A small smile appears on her lips. "Carlos. Carlos. Carlos. Carrrrrrrrlos." She giggles.

  "What? What are you doing?" I ask with a brow raised.

  "It's been so long since I've said your name. It's just fun to say." She smiles.

  "Ok." I nod. "Sadie. Sadie. Sadie. Saaadiiie." I chuckle. "That is fun."

  "No. Only I can do that."

  "What?" I scoff. "No fair." I pout. She smiles and pokes my nose, making me smile.

  Suddenly I get a great idea.

  I gasp, "Sadie!" I shout, making her jump. "What if I just went back to California with you!" She stares at me, mouth hanging open.

"I mean... I don't don't know." She shakes her head unsure. "I-I guess. If you really want to. But you would have to leave al your friends, and family and everything."

  "That doesn't matter. As long as I'm with you. Besides, I can always visit." I take her hands in mine. I look down at her nicely black nails. "Ooh, did you get a pedicure? Your nails are smooth." I complement. "Wait, is it a pedicure or a manicure?" I think out loud.

  She chuckles, "It's a manicure, Carlos."

  "Oh." I say. "I knew that." I lie.

  "So what do you think?" I ask. "Do you want me to move to California with you?" A smile spreads on her lips.

  "Of course, I would love that." She places a kiss on my lips and I smile. "You're sure you want to do this?" I nod. "Ok." She nods.

This is what Sadie's new hair looks like.