One Step Too Far

(Y/N) was peacefully sleeping in her bedroom at the Stark Tower when she was abruptly awakened by two voices screaming at each other.

"STAY AWAY FROM HER, ROGERS!"

"WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT, BIRDBOY?"

These two were at it again. (Y/N) was well aware of Steve and Clint's affection for her, but she never expected things to escalate this badly. She had made it clear to both of them that she would not choose between them for the sake of the team. Despite being in love with one of them, (Y/N) didn't want to hurt the other's feelings. She sought advice from Natasha, her closest friend in the group, and Natasha agreed with her decision.

Suddenly, (Y/N) heard a loud crash and immediately rushed to the common room. The rest of the team followed suit. Steve had struck Clint with his shield, sending him flying into a glass table.

"CLINT!" (Y/N) screamed, rushing to his side. The shattered glass covered the floor, and she didn't even realize she was barefoot. (Y/N) ended up cutting herself on the glass, leaving bloody footprints, but she didn't care. Her priority was to make sure Clint was okay.

"(Y/N), YOUR FEET!" Natasha shouted, but (Y/N) couldn't focus on anything but Clint.

Kneeling beside him, with glass piercing her knees, she asked, "Clint, are you okay? Does anything hurt?" She gently cradled his head in her lap.

"I'm fine, (Y/N)," he managed to say, but the glass fragments embedded in his body indicated otherwise. He was in pain.

"Take him to the infirmary NOW!" (Y/N) demanded. Without hesitation, Thor carefully lifted Clint and carried him to the infirmary, where Bruce would attend to his injuries.

Throughout the whole ordeal, Steve remained silent.

"What were you thinking, Rogers?" (Y/N) yelled at him, her voice filled with anger and concern.

"I'm sorry," he replied quietly.

"You're sorry? You could have killed him! How can I accept your apology when you almost killed the man I love?" (Y/N) exclaimed. With that, she stormed out of the room to be with Clint, leaving Steve bewildered and accepting his defeat.