05 | Memories & Decisions

"Sometimes we just need
to get away
from all the mess"

One More Mistake
Chapter five

❱ "I miss this" I whisper, not attending to catch anyone's attention but I did. Sterling looked over his shoulder with a look I hated. He was me one of his vulnerable looks, sadness. It enveloped me with pain to see him like this. We were so close with each other, we were almost never apart. I looked away from his gloomy eyes and looked at Lilian who was just staring at me with same look as sterling was. A small smile was on her lips, and I knew she missed me as much as I did. I've never really had a home like this before, it hurt me when I had to leave.

"Nothing has changed" I mentioned to her as I looked around the house. She smiled brighter and looked at her surroundings. "Yes, everything is just the same, we didn't want to change anything" she said and I remembered when I lived here, she would always remodel the whole house. As I studied her, I've noticed the wrinkles that formed in her face. She looked more worn out and older than the last time I've seen her. I mean, with her son's suppose death and her adopted daughter being torn away from her as well. It must have done something to her, and I hated that she to go through it as well as Jeremiah, my adopted dad.

"Where's Jeremiah?" I asked. I noticed Lilian and Sterling got tense when I said his name instead of saying Dad. I used to call him that but I felt like I didn't have the right anymore. Lilian hurriedly turned her frown into a smile as she met my eyes.

"He's at work, he actually got that promotion, he's the CEO now" she said with a fake smile plastered on her face. I wanted to congratulate him, Jeremiah always wanted to be the CEO and I was glad he got the position.

As we walked around, memories were popping in my head, making my heartache because I missed it so much. As we stoped in the living room, Lilian sat down on the couch. She patted the seat next to her and all I wanted to do is to make my way to her but I couldn't. I didn't want to relive those moments because I knew they wouldn't last and it would hurt me. I didn't want to get attached and hurt again. It took me everything to not make my way over there.

Instead I looked I looked at sterling and said, "We came to talk right, so talk" I said with a cold tone, not recognizing my own voice. It sounded so harsh, and it took everything in me to not apologize. He looked surprised but then nodded. He nodded his head towards upstairs as if trying to tell me to talk in his room. I nodded and without a glance at Lilian I left, leaving behind Sterling. If I were there any more longer, I would have cracked.

When I turned away from them, I closed my eyes together. I was trying so hard to stop the tears from forming on my eyes. Once I was upstairs, I didn't make my way to his room, I stopped and turned around to look at Sterling who had a sad look.

"God, how pathetic are you, trying to bring me here so I would come running back to her arms. Sterling why?! Huh? Why? You know I can't come back here! You wanted me to see your mom, you knew she was my weakness. You knew your mom was going to be here today, so that's why you wanted me to come here" I asked but it didn't sound like a question. I rubbed my temples, as my eyes were burning of tears. They were on the verge of running down my cheeks.

"Our Mom, Thea! Our mom. She wanted me to bring you here, she wanted to see you. Do you even know how much she misses you?! She isn't well because of yo-" I cut him off before he would finish.

"Shut up! Just shut the hell up, Sterling! You left her too! You did the same thing but the difference is that you made that decision. I didn't have that choice, so just shut up and don't you dare blame me!" I say, angry with everything, everyone, especially him. I didn't heard anything after that because I left. I jogged down the stairs, and seen Lilian at the bottom of the stairs with tear stains on her face.