20 | Roses & Sad Smiles

"Let's have a toast.
To the incompetence of our enemies"

One More Mistake
Chapter twenty

❱ Caine Maroon was always the boy who caught every girls heart, he was the boy who made you feel better. You would always see him smile, walking around the hallways with joy. It was contagious. You would never see him without a smile and if you ever did, everyone would talk about it though they would never find out why. I remember when he walked in one day without his famous smile. It was odd for everybody and even for me.

At that time, Caine and I were already engaged so everyone assumed I knew everything about him, everybody would go to me to ask me if I knew anything about what was happening. I only threw a response which was, I don't know.

I really didn't know though I was aware he had problems that he didn't want to tell me but I wanted to know. I had to know because he was becoming someone so important to me so I confronted him about it.

But all I've got was a short response which was that he wasn't feeling good. Saying that he had a few problems going on and maybe it was the leukemia getting the best of him. At that time, I believed him I really did.

But now that Rory Clark was standing right in front me and telling me what Caine did to him, I had my reasons to doubt Caine because it wasn't all about his leukemia. He only used that so that I wouldn't question him anymore but now I didn't know if Caine meant it or he was just lying to me.

"What did he do?" Once I asked Rory, he looked away from me and turned away.

"That's none of your fucking business, alright." He snapped. I expected it though, this was Rory Clark after all. Whatever Rory Clark cared about, he would snap about it and this thing was important to him.

"Was it your business when you told the whole school about Caine?" I smirked when he didn't respond. He knew I was right and now he didn't know what to say.

"Exactly, so now tell me, why would I mind my own business when you didn't care to do so?" I didn't wait for him to respond back because I left, leaving him all alone with his thoughts.

When I walked back in the building, the hallways were lonely. I was probably late to class but I couldn't care less, my mind was clouded with thoughts about how would I ever tell Caine of what's happened. How would he react, I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell him.

"So now I know who you always visit in the hospital, god I was not expecting that" when I turned around, I found Raine leaning on a locker with her hands crossed. I didn't even realize that she was standing there.

"Since when have you known about Caine?" I asked Raine, cutting her fake surprise. I knew she had figured it out a while ago. She knew everything about me, she must have known about it and she was just waiting for me to tell her.

"You're really smart, aren't you? Well I've been knowing for quite some time, and let me tell you that it wasn't easy to figure it out."she said as she was slowly walking towards me.

"Yea, look I'm not sure what your trying to do with all this. I'm not sure why you wanna know so much about me but let me assure you that I won't tell anyone anything about what your trying to do."

"Great, I'm glad you brought it up because if I would, it would almost sound like a threat and we wouldn't want that would we?" I tried to ignore her threatening eyes but I couldn't. I know there was something else behind her cunning plan.

"Of course, well I got to go to class I'll see you around" she nods, a smile on her face. I turn away and make my way to class, feeling her eyes still on me but ignored it.

When I made my way towards Caine room, I wasn't expecting the whole room to have roses surrounding him with small letters hidden in the roses.

"There's a lot of..." I stopped mid sentence when I looked over at him but he wasn't looking at me. His eyes were closed, and his face wasn't facing me. I slowly walked up towards him and once I put my hand on his shoulder he flinched.

He knew.

"Please get out" he didn't even look at me when he spoke to me and it hurt me. Caine is probably thinking that I was the one that told everyone but I wasn't, though I couldn't deny that I was part of it because I was.

"Caine let me..." before I could explain the whole situation someone cut off and it wasn't Caine.

"Thea, can you please leave" when I turned around I found Marie, Caine's mother, standing near the door with her hands across her chest.

I know she wasn't trying to sound rude or make me feel bad but she did. I didn't blame her though, I would've been angry too if someone had told my only secret.

I looked back at Caine but he wasn't even looking at me so I whispered a goodbye before making my way out. Once Marie had closed the door, she faced me.

"Look, I know what you must be thinking but if you only let me explain you'll—"

"Honey, you don't have to explain nothing to me, the person who you need to explain yourself  to is Caine but not now. He's hurt and thinks you betrayed him so please come back another time" I couldn't do anything at all but just smile and nod at her.

She squeezed my shoulder before giving me a sad smile. I looked back at the closed door before making my way towards the elevator. All a while, I was just thinking about Caine. I hated when he was mad at me, it made me feel more lonelier than I was.

"Are you okay?" I looked up and noticed the doors from the elevator had opened and kace was waiting for me in the lobby.

"Yes, I'm fine. We should go" I didn't wait for him to catch up with me because right now I just wanted to be alone.