45 | Midnight

"How cruel, your veins are
full of ice-water and mine
are boiling"
— Emily Brontë

One More Mistake
Chapter forty-five

❱ I couldn't believe I was here, but I needed a place to stay. I didn't want to but I also didn't have any other choice. He was the only person who I trusted and the only person who would actually help me and wouldn't ask why. Caine did crossed my mind but I didn't want him to worry about me. I couldn't possibly tell him everything that happened earlier, I was too ashamed.

I hesitated before knocking onto the door, but I quickly regretted it. As I was about to walked away, the door opened wide.

Owen's green eyes soon locked into mine. He looked confused yet surprised.

"Thea? What are you doing here?" He asked as he looked down at his watched.

I didn't notice until now that it was about to hit midnight in few minutes. If I did know, I wouldn't have knocked Owen's door at this time of the day. Of course he would suspect that something was wrong with me. Now he was going to asks questions, something I didn't want happening.

Owen looked back at me but this time he looked worried.

"Is everything okay? Come in, it's freezing cold outside" he said as pulled me inside his cozy house. I sighed in silence before looking at Owen.

As he was closing the door, I've noticed that he was wearing sweats and a basic shirt. His hair was a bit messy and as his back faced me, I couldn't help but see Alec standing before me.

When Owen looked back at me, I backed away.

He furrowed his eyebrows and almost like he knew I felt uncomfortable he had taken a step away from me, to give me space.

"Wanna talk to me about what's happening to you?" He asked lowly, like he was afraid to even ask.

"I'm sorry for barging in like this, I just..." I start but then stop when I don't know what to say.

"I wanted to see you" I quickly finish.

Liar!

I haven't thought about him ever since the last time we've seen each other.

"At midnight?" He asked with an eyebrow lifted up. He didn't believe me, I didn't believe myself.

"Thea, tell me what's actually going on. Did something happen? And don't tell me that nothing happened because I know you very well and I know that you aren't okay right now" he said as he now stood before me, worry covering his features.

What was I thinking into coming here? Owen is a kind and loving person and I'm here to take advantage of that. It wasn't fair for him, I know he would help me but I couldn't bring him into my mess. I couldn't possibly bring him into the shit I got myself into. What happened earlier was my fault, I got involved with the wrong person and that wasn't Owen's doing. It was mine.

Now I had to fix it, by myself.

I quickly put a small smile on my face and shrugged my shoulders.

"I'm doing fine" I lied again.

"You're not doing fine" he said but I swiftly made my way towards the door.

"I'm sorry for bothering you, I actually need to go" I said as I grabbed the door knob and pulled it opened. Though, as I was about to leave, I felt a warm hand grab my wrist. I wanted to pull away because my first thought was that it was Alec but realized it was Owen.

It was just Owen.

I turned to look at him but he just stared at me in wonder and worry. His eyes roamed around my face until they locked into mine. The look he gave me made me realize that he knew I was lying and that I wasn't okay.

"Owen" I look way from him and look at the person who had talked.

Alexandra locks eyes with me, coming down the stairs.

"I should probably go" I say lowly and I feel Owen let go of my wrist. He looks back at me and nods. I don't say anything and leave his house. When I hear the door close behind me, I stop walking.

What am I supposed to do now?