56 | Intentions & Rejections

"You get so alone at times
that it just makes sense"
— unknown

One More Mistake
Chapter fifty-six

❱ "What are we doing here?" I finally looked away from the two figures that were arguing and stared at Kace who stared at me concernedly. He was confused but also worried about me. I shuffled around in my seat before looking away from his eyes.  His hands were still griping on the steering wheel even after being parked here for half an hour.

"They're keeping secrets from me" I said lowly, then looked back at Bruce and sterling still standing outside Sterling's porch. I wanted to know what they were arguing about.

"Is it bad?" I heard Kace asked but I didn't mind to look at him before I answered.

"I don't know," I said.

"Thea, please don't do this to yourself. Whatever Bruce is hiding, it's must not be good and it'll be better if you didn't found out. Especially if it involves your brother." He's got some nerve to try and convince me to not find out.

"And that's exactly why I have to find out what Bruce has over my brother. I need to protect, Sterling" I argued. 

"But what if it's bad, that you wished you didn't found out?" His question made me shiver. I looked back at him and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Do you know something?" My question seemed to catch him off guard.

"Of course not, if I did I would tell you" he seemed bothered that I would think such thing about him.

"I'm sorry" I whispered before turning back towards Bruce and Sterling. But they weren't there anymore, they might've gone inside.

Without thinking, I got off the car.

"Thea, where are you going?" I heard Kace asked before getting off the car as well and catching up to me. He pulled my hand and finally I looked at him.

"I can't let you go inside" he said as he griped my hand.

"Are you serious right now?" I asked as I pulled my hand way from his.

"Thea, I'm only trying to protect you" he says, but I've already have my mind set.

As I was about to take a step towards inside the gates, a car that parked in front of Sterling's house, made me stop.

The car door opened and soon enough Rory came out of the car. He seemed panicked and worried that he didn't notice me at all. He entered the gates before walking in.

I quickly followed after him and once I was behind him, I pulled him to face me.

He quickly pulled me away, not noticing who it was.

"What the fuck.." when he finally locked eyes with me, he stopped.

"What are you doing here?" He asked before looking behind me.

Kace was standing behind me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked right back.

"You should probably go, this-" I cut him off.

"You're involved with this, aren't you?" I walked a bit closer to him to study him, but he had looked away from me before I could notice anything.

"Tell me, what is it that their hiding?" I asked.

"I don't know, all I know is that Sterling needed my help"

"Then why do you look panicked?" I asked as I slowly walked towards him.

He finally looked back at me.

"I don't have time for this, Thea you should just go" he said before walking away towards the house.

If he thinks I'm just going to walk away just because he tells me to, he's wrong.

I started to walk behind him but got pulled back.

"Please, just listen to him. We should go" I groaned before pulled myself away from Kace. I turned to look at him.

"Your not going to tell me what to do, I'm going in there whether you like it or not" he didn't say anything back, but his eyes did. Though, I ignored his pleas and walked towards Rory.

He knocked on the door, before patiently waiting.

I stood beside him, and I turned to look at him.

He shook his head before heavily sighing.

"I warned you, Thea" was all he said.

I stood quiet.

Just as I was about to ask him a question, the door opened. I quickly turned and found Sterling's eyes on me.

"What's she doing here? Why did you bring her here?" He asked, whispering. He looked over his shoulder before shutting the door quietly.

He pulled me away from Rory, and off to the side.

"Thea, you shouldn't be here" he said trying to be as calm as he could but he was far from it.

"I'm tried of your stupid secrets and lies, it's time I know of all the things you've been hiding from me" I said as I tried to search for something in his eyes.

"I promise you, I'll tell you everything but just not now" I wanted to believe him, so badly but I know he wasn't going to tell me anything at all. He was a liar after all.

"Stop making false promises" I say.

"I promise, it's for real this time" sterling wanted me to leave this place, that he even promised me this. It meant that this was even more worse than I thought.

I was about to give it but froze when I heard someone clapping. I looked behind sterling and standing beside Rory, there stood Bruce. He had a wide smile covering his lips, while his eyes lit with amusement.

"Sterling, you deserve an Oscar for that" he said before chuckling. He started to make his way towards us but sterling quickly stood in front of me.

"Thea, don't tell me you believe that crap. I know you're smarter than that" Bruce said as he looked at me over Sterling shoulder.

I did.

"You just don't know when to give up" sterling told Bruce but he didn't once look at him. His eyes were glued on me.

"You did, didn't you?" Bruce asked, before shaking his head. He glanced at sterling before walking around him and towards me. Sterling didn't try to stop him this time.

As Bruce made his way towards me, I've felt a hand grip mine. I didn't notice until now that Rory was standing behind me.

When Bruce finally stood in front of me, his eyes roamed around my face before he tugged a piece of my hair behind my ear. He left his hand on my cheek, caressing it.

He, then, smiled at me sadly like he felt bad for me.

"I think it's time for her to find out what you've done, Sterling"

Thank you for reading and voting, it means a lot!!